12.28.2015

Homebrew Sealant

I've been running a tubeless setup for about 5 years now and its worked very well for me. About 3 years ago I switched to a homebrew sealant modification I found online. I had been using Stan's sealant very successfully, but that stuff can be expensive.

Quite a few people have asked me about the homebrew, so I figured I'd put it here for future reference. It's really quite simple, works just as good as Stan's for about 1/3 the cost.

Keep in mind, I'm re-using my 16oz black Stan's bottle & a few of the 2oz Stan's bottles for ease of use.

First thing you'll need are a few supplies. I splurged at the Dollar store.

Broke the bank with $3 worth of supplies.
  • 64oz container with a large mouth opening.
  • Funnels
  • Measuring cup
  • Paint stick
Here are the ingredients:
3 ingredients.
  • 1 16oz bottle of Slime sealant
  • 1 16oz container of Latex Mold Builder
  • 1 Gallon 50/50 anti-freeze (You'll use 32oz for a batch)
Most bike shops, REI, sporting goods stores will carry the Slime. Obviously, any auto parts store for the anti-freeze and Michaels craft stores for the Latex Mold Builder.
Plenty of these available too, check the weekly circular for 40-50% off coupons.
Combine the 16oz Slime, 16oz Latex Mold Builder and 32oz of anti-freeze in the 64oz container. I use a bit of the anti-freeze swished around in the Slime & Latex containers to get as much of the material out as possible. Mix well. DONE.
In goes the Slime.
I mixed some of the anti-freeze, then added the latex.
64oz of fresh sealant ready to go.
Transfer it to a more usable container.
Store in a cool dark place and it will stay liquid for months. I've had it sit around for almost a year without issue. Use a scoop & funnel to transfer it to an easier to use bottle.

A batch of sealant typically lasts me about a year. There are plenty of homebrew variations out on the interwebs, this just happens to be one I found and have use with great results over the past couple of years.



No comments:

Post a Comment