July 8, 2012

Beer & Independence

Made the trip back east that no one wants to do, lay a loved one to rest. My Dad is in a better place now, and he fancied a few good suds in his day. What better way to offer up a toast and check out a really cool place all at the same time. My wife, my two brothers and I headed off to Pottsville to tour the Yuengling Brewery - the oldest in the country.
183 years and going strong.
What a fun and informative tour. If you ever find yourself in the area, I highly recommend it. Of course there are a couple of free samples at the end and the tour itself is free.
Very cool bar in the tasting room, tons of old bottles/cans.

In the caves, no longer in use. The brick wall was 1 of 3 erected by the government during prohibition to halt manufacturing. Didn't work so well.

Stained glass ceiling was a nice touch, especially to the workers since it helped keep the work area cool during the summer months.

Fill 'er up!! Fresh batch on the way.

Canning the Lager.

Cans flying everywhere.

We took the correct side of the bar.

Tons of old cans/bottles dating back over 100 years.

The 7 varieties of Yuengling.

Doesn't look like much on the outside.
My brother was flying out of Philadelphia on the 8th, so we drove him down to the airport then decided to do a bit of sightseeing in the historic district. It had been a long time since I had been to Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell. We were about an hour early before the visitor center opened so it was nice to get a bunch of photos without all the people milling about.
Independence Hall with an empty lawn.

Wall built in 1661.

Philly is cool.

The US Mint just started offering tours as of July 3rd, we were going to take one, but they are closed on Sundays!! :(

Liberty Bell Philly Phanatic.

Signing of the Declaration happened here.

Original inkwell used in the Declaration signing.

For 10 years Philly was the US Capitol.


Liberty Bell upskirt.

Through glass shot.

The crack can be seen here.



One of the many characters in garb for the reenactment of the Declaration reading.

The annual reenactment of the Declaration reading, very cool to see.



Some of my local favorites: Tastykakes, Drake's cakes, Yuengling beer & Josh Early candies.


2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, I love Philadelphia! I see you have peanut butter kandy kakes, they are my favorite. My best friend Karen moved to Texas a few years ago and she makes me send her boxes of tastykakes every 3 months. The people at home direct shipping practically know me by name now. I will have to check out the Yuengling Brewery, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Lauren. I always make it a point to take an empty suitcase to satisfy my PA cravings! Peanut butter Kandykakes are at the top of the list! Every once in a while I'll also bring back a doggy pack of Yocco's hotdogs as well!! I think you'll enjoy the brewery tour, lots of interesting history within those walls.

      Delete