January 17, 2020

Goldlink Trail + Usery

I think it was sometime back around 2014 when I stumbled across a Tonto National Forest project map called the Sonoran Desert Trails System. Upon further inspection there appeared to be bold plans for new trails in the Hawes trail system, near Usery Regional Park and over into the Goldfield Mtns. The one item in particular that struck my interest was a proposed trail linking the far east side of Usery over to the Goldfields. The selfish interest was, I was putting the final touches on my grand bikepacking loop from home, the soon to be Queen's Ransom, and I was searching for an all dirt connection heading east. This could be it!!
The trail in question is between A7.5 & A7 on the bottom middle of the map.
I fired off a few emails to the Tonto NF and didn't really get anywhere with it. The only response at the time was they would look into it. It came across to me that they didn't even know about their own published project. I had to send them the link to the map on their website!!

After not getting anywhere over the next few months I had found a semi-decent workaround for my bikepacking loop on some horse trails further south.

Fast forward to 2019 and some changes over at the Tonto. Once again the Sonoran Desert Trails project popped up, but this time we had more people interested in making this a reality. We had a solid group of volunteers and now had formed a good working relationship with the Tonto through the Hawes Trail Alliance, Hawesaholic FB group and another group of retired trail builders. The green light was given to begin flagging a route and some work days set up. The terrain is rugged over there, but the folks involved were undaunted and up to the task.

At first the new trail was dubbed the Missing Link for obvious reasons, but after it was completed, it wasn't missing any more!! It needed a new name and since it directly links into the Goldfield Mtns, Goldlink was voted on. Has a nice ring to it.

A lot of time, effort and behind the scenes working was involved by everyone who came out to lend a hand. I wish I could have done more than the one afternoon I was out there moving dirt. It's really fun and rewarding to see a project like this take shape.
Sweat equity.
The time had come to actually ride it, but of course barely one week into the new year I came down with a sinus infection and missed a bunch of work. I wasn't completely clear of the crud, but a good beatdown on the bike often helps me expel the mucus demons.

This ride served a few purposes for me: hack out some crud from my lungs, ride some new-to-me trails at Usery, follow my proposed update to the Queen's Ransom through Usery over to Goldlink and into the Goldfields and return on my current route for a direct comparison. Go.
It had been quite some time since I rode these trails.

Thick Chainfruit Cholla forest on...Chainfruit trail. Go figure. 

Visual flight rules in effect: <Phoenix

Found this sign at the visitor's center.
More fast singletrack followed over to the junction of the SE corner of Pass Mtn. I was really hoping to avoid using pavement, but after riding this section of trail to the Meridian trailhead, I had to put the short road section into the bikepacking loop. Too much on/off/on/off over some really crappy trail. It's one thing to be a challenging trail and another to be complete garbage. This was the latter.

I hopped on the Meridian trail and it's in great shape sans one section of extremely eroded blown out tread that needs a re-route. At least it's short. The trail gradually climbs and near it's high point is a social trail that cuts down close to the beginning of Goldlink. The social downhill was a white knuckler mostly due to all the loose rock on the tread and the steepness. A quick trail brushing would alleviate most issues on this bit.

I picked up Goldlink and began riding east. The lower section contours nicely and just needs more tires on it to pack in the tread. The trail then turns north and begins a steady climb with some punchy bits thrown in. In my sickened state, I was off pushing on a few occasions trying to keep my HR down. When healthy, it'll be a tough climb to clean, but one I'll definitely try. The final approach to the saddle is quite remarkable. The bench cut trail is a real piece of work and the reward is this view:
Expansive view of the Superstition Mtns and Mt. Lemmon on a clear day! Picketpost too.

Same spot, looking back.
The trail going down the east side of the saddle has a handful of well constructed switchbacks before opening up the runout.
At the bottom of Goldlink on the east side. The saddle can be seen between the Saguaros.
The next trail is South Deer Tanks which was an equestrian social trail. It rides pretty well in spite of not being built for mountain bikes. There's one steep wash to negotiate, but that's about it.
South Deer Tanks trail.

Either someone is testing out camping gear or they are living in a wash.
I must've missed a turn somewhere on South Deer Tanks because I ended up in a bit of unrideable sand near the dirt road connection in the Goldfields. It wasn't too much pushing and I was out on the road in short order.

I dropped down through the neighborhood and picked up the horse trails near the powerlines to finish off the loop. I was instantly reminded why I didn't care for this section all that much. Too much soft dirt and sand. While the Goldlink option will be a bit more difficult riding for the Queen's Ransom, it really is a no-brainer to add it to the route. It's better trail and views.

I can't say enough about our local mountain biking community. We've really stepped up and come together to get more trails. The four new trails over at Hawes last year were all approved in the Sonoran Desert Trails System, but the forest service didn't have the resources to actually build them. It only took a few volunteer days and they were done and are now a great addition to the Hawes network. We have more ambitious plans for the Hawes trails in the coming months/years with a new master plan that is currently waiting approval. This is gonna be fun!

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment