September 15, 2023

South Mountain: West Side Loop

 I had been overdue for a South Mountain ride. My ride fitness was coming along nicely and I only had to work a few hours on Friday morning. I opted for some trails I hadn't been on in years as I felt my legs were ready for some climbing. It was around 11a when I finally got going and the mercury was already tickling 100ยบ. Like many locals, by mid-September we're ready for some cooler temps, but it wasn't happening quite yet.

I staged from the bottom of Ranger trail with the plan to climb Ranger, which had some work done since I last rode it, hop on West National and take it around to the Ma-Ha-Tuak Perimeter trail.

Lower Ranger begins with a slight grade then gradually increases as it approaches the Summit Rd. I came within one pedal stroke of making to the road cleanly. Maybe next time.

Climbing away from the Summit Road, still mostly rideable.

Good tread so far, but I was taking breaks in the sliver of shade I could find.

Looks like a new trailhead is about to open at the beginning of the San Juan Rd. Great location for access to the northwest trails when the road is closed, which is often.
The upper portion of Ranger was more technical with steeper pitches. I walked quite a bit and finally gave in and walked the final bit up to National.
West National doesn't get the love it deserves. Great trail, often empty and a little bit of a pucker factor.

Gradual climbing as you pass by a few old mine shafts.

The climb tops out and opens up to some fantastic ridgeline riding.

The far west end of the National ridgeline feels like it drops off the face of the Earth. Steep section not pictured.
Once off the slope of the mountain, the riding gets more tame with an XC flair.
The Ma-Ha-Tuak trail winds around the mountain high above the Loop 202 freeway and farmland.

The first part of the trail was machine built a few years ago and rolls quite well.
It undulates up & down with a few steep grades that had me walking. At first glance you wonder why the trail was constructed that way, but then realize the park boundary only extends so far. Limited terrain dictate where the trail goes.

This was an extra steep section circling around this pink house. You can see where I came from in the far left.
The next section is an old social trail that was adopted by the park. It's noticeably more rocky, but very rideable. The heat was taking a bit of a toll and I was moving rather slow, walking a bit here & there. I noticed my water was low and soon after I ran out. I wasn't concerned as I was now back on the machine built trail less than a mile from the 19th Ave. trailhead which has water fountains. While not chilled, they did the trick and I stocked up for the final few miles back to the car.

A very welcome shade break near the 19th Ave trailhead.
I had one last small hill to navigate, which of course, was too steep to ride. Over the top and a quick spin along the Crosscut trail led me to the paved park road and shortly to the car. 

This is a cool route that packs quite a punch. I may do this again when it's much cooler, maybe add an Alta trail climb for good measure.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment