November 11, 2020

AZT: Sunnyside Canyon

 I had wanted to give the AZT300 another crack this year, but when the Bighorn Fire swept over Mt. Lemmon closing Oracle Ridge and any other option for descending the north side of the mountain, my heart really wasn't into it. Oracle Ridge is the heart of the 300, at the very least I'd want to climb the mountain and descend the Control Rd.

I put together a Mt. Lemmon bypass for anyone wanting to give an altered 300 a go, a select group of individuals did just that and it was fun watching each of them push their limits. Yet, as the riders trekked north, I wanted to be out there. Then it happened. The Coronado National Forest lifted the closure order on the Control Rd. I went down to Oracle for a scouting ride of the area and was mostly pleased with what I saw. The 300 was back on my radar.

I was able to secure time off from work, George & Jalene graciously offered to drive me down to the start at Parker Canyon Lake on Wednesday where I'd met Wendi for a short spin on the Sunnyside Canyon portion of the Arizona Trail. Now, this section isn't part of the 300, hence the ride before the ride. It was included in the inaugural AZ1000 route and had received favorable reviews from the riders. We had tried to ride it a couple months earlier, but our group ran out of water in the unseasonable heat. I had hiked it years ago, but wanted to ride this loop to see for myself if it was worth adding to the AZT800.

We took off around 3p for the 10-ish mile loop. A bumpy start on Montezuma Canyon Rd. led us to our turn at Sunnyside Rd. We were both pleasantly surprised by the gentle climbing grade. A few miles later we reached the AZT.

Nearing the AZT under a canopy of trees.

Fine forested singletrack greeted us almost immediately.

The trail is mostly downhill too, only a couple of short ups.

Late afternoon rays illuminate the fall colors.

It's nice to actually ride some of Passage 1, since most of it is in Wilderness.

Some open 2-track along the way.
The route does crisscross a creek bed, some dismounts here & there. In all fairness, the route goes up Sunnyside Canyon and the AZT follows Scotia Canyon on the way down.

Very informative sign as we finish the loop, crossing Montezuma Canyon Rd.

This short portion of Passage 1 has always been part of the AZTR.

Crossing Lakes Rd. at the Parker Canyon Lake trailhead.

This will be the start tomorrow morning.

Sunset over Parker Canyon Lake.

San Rafael Valley expanse. Looking south towards Mexico.
Wendi & Andrew offered to put me up for the night and haul me back to the start the next morning. Who was I to turn down an offer like that!! Warm bed, shower, home cooked meals or camp out solo in the cold with my racing setup: read - tiny 1 square foot of foam padding. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
Miller Peak is the highest point in the Huachuca Mtns.

Coatimundi sighting on our descent from Montezuma Pass. How cool it that??
On our drive out we both agreed that this portion of AZT should be added to the AZT800. It's a nicer introduction to the AZT, the Canelo Hills can be a bit harsh to the unexpecting.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment