December 18, 2020

Filaria Springs

 Once again I found myself at Picketpost trailhead. This time I was off to check out a trail my buddy, Jay, spotted on satellite imagery a few months prior. He rode it back then, informed me of the hike-a-bike involved, but that never stopped me from a scouting ride.

I did some more poking around on the area maps and decided to make a lollipop loop using Arnett Canyon as the stick. Can't go wrong there. The loop portion would include the rugged Telegraph Canyon trail, the trail in question: Filaria Springs and some dirt roads linking back to Arnett Canyon.

Right away I noticed the new signage making it easier for folks to find the Arnett Canyon split.

After a short climb, this is the reward.

More interpretive signage along the way. Nice to see the Tamarisk & Oleander getting eradicated.

I've been meaning to check out the trail to the left, it's an alternate back to Picketpost trailhead. I'll be hitting it on my way back for sure.

I spy a hint of autumn up ahead...

More than a hint, a wormhole back to October in the high country!!

Nice to see the new signage all along Arnett Canyon.

Sure doesn't feel like December.

Now the rugged stuff begins.

Be gone, invaders!!

What in tarnation is this?? Not only water, but actual 'flowing' water.

Nice to see one of the side springs still pumping out the goods.

Nice find along the way.
Telegraph Canyon was its typical 50/50 ride to hike ratio, but finding flowing water back there was a real treat. At least it's only a mile total, scenic and gets you where you need to go - Telegraph Canyon Rd.

I kept heading south, looking for any semblance of a trail on my left. I found one, but that soon fizzled out, game trail deadend. I had a track loaded on my GPS to help with the Filaria Springs section and the entrance was in need of assistance. I rolled past it initially, then backtracked to find the 'trail'. The beginning was fairly overgrown and had a bunch of low branches, nothing a quick trim couldn't fix. The trail tread was fine.

Lots of scratchy bits early on. Hate that stuff.

A dry Rock Tank. A jeep road exists that would make getting here scratch free.

Through this gate another adventure awaits.
I crossed over the Rock Tank depression and found the trail on the opposing hillside. It immediately climbed a solid rock face. I knew this section would be hike-a-bike based on the elevation profile, but it looked short. Let's go.

It quickly opened up to amazing views...and riding.

A second, bigger rock face approaches.
I knew I had to gain the upcoming ridge, it didn't look too long. Barely 10 minutes later I was on top staring down a high meadow stretch of singletrack. This looks promising.

So far, I was glad I rode in this direction. Hike up the short steep bits that I probably would've walked down anyway and ride the downhill sloping trail.

For the most part, the trail up top was primo. Only a few stray rocks on the trail.

Looking left/north, Superior can be seen.

The trail continued to stay rideable.

Nearing Wood Canyon.

A second cool slickrock area of trail.

The final descent became chunky and a bit more challenging to follow. I missed one turn.
Next thing I knew the trail was dumping me out on Wood Canyon Rd. I'd call that a success!! The Filaria Springs trail isn't for everyone, but with a little bit of trail trimming and if you don't mind a few minutes of pushing, it's a worthy outing. Now, I just had to loop it back to Arnett Canyon.

Apache Leap from Wood Canyon Rd.


A couple of years ago, Telegraph Canyon Rd. was closed through here due to mining operations in the area. It has since re-opened, but as you can see. Stay on the road.
There was one slight deviation on my way back. Telegraph Canyon Rd. doesn't exactly connect directly to Arnett Canyon. There's about 0.1 mile that seems heavily used by trail users to link to the singletrack. Hopefully, that will be adopted officially, otherwise, the east end of Arnett Canyon is a deadend.

Anyway, I was back on singletrack in Arnett Canyon.

Doesn't this have the feel of a mini Grand Canyon??

Or a slice of Monument Valley??

This trail is a true desert oasis.

Back under the canopy of gold.
I was now back at that early trail split leading to Picketpost trailhead. I had heard over the years this trail was intended primarily for hiking and the other trail that we've been using for bikes & equestrians. I figured I try it once and expected to walk somewhere along the way. What I found, was a fantastic second option with one very short steep section where steps are cut into the rock. Maybe a 2 minute hike-a-bike is all.

Different view of Picketpost trailhead from the alternate trail.

Yet another ride option from Picketpost trailhead.
The AZT is still king in these parts, but this ride only used 0.1 mile of the Arizona Trail. It's nice to have options and this area has a bunch.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/4489226793
Route:



No comments:

Post a Comment