June 25, 2021

CO: Silverton - Rainbow Trail

 I arrived in Silverton after driving over Kebler Pass once again leaving Crested Butte. I tried to drive a bit slower over the fresh mag chloride layer this time, but I still needed a manual car wash to clean off the bike & car. That stuff is so goopy!! Anyway, I tracked down Scott & Eszter camped at their perch of 9800'. It was a fantastic spot just far enough off the beaten path.

We lobbed a few ride ideas around for the next morning and settled on a 6a rise time to beat the storms that often invade the Colorado high country this time of year. Brooklyn Gulch was the ride of choice topping out over 12,000'. Should be fun!! Note: I finally met up with these two with a week's worth of Colorado altitude acclimation and not a 1a arrival from Phoenix where I sleep in my car and then I get pummeled the next day. I was liking my chances to at least keep up with them.

The next morning didn't exactly bring sunny skies. It was gloomy at best down in the valley, but showing some signs that we may catch a break, so off we went. We packed rain gear and began climbing under gray skies. And when I say 'began climbing', I mean right out of the gate. No warmup and steep!! Gasp!! I was surprised I was able to keep turning the cranks over, but by the time we got a little over a half mile up, the weather really wasn't looking good. Plus, we would probably miss out on the views up top, so what's the point again? We unanimously voted to eject, back to the vehicles.

My one picture from our 1 1/2 mile ride.
My front brakes were really squealing now, like obnoxiously loud and marginally working. Fun!!

We made a beeline for the Coffee Bear in Silverton for some wonderful breakfast burritos. The weather had passed and it was looking promising for another ride. Eszter decided she should go do some real work while Scott and I did an out-n-back on the Rainbow Trail.

I've been wanting to check this one out the past couple of times I've been here, but it hadn't materialized. It's practically right in town and parallels US550 heading north towards Ouray. Off we go.
We're instantly in the aspens on a well graded trail.

Neat!! I've seen this area from the road and always wondered where the trail was.

Back on the railroad grade.

Fantastic views when the trees opened up.

Trail was crowded today.

The steady climbing continues.

This has to be the friendliest trail climbing grade near Silverton.

The Rainbow Trail ends here, across the way from Ophir Pass Rd.

The rain began to fall as we turned around.

Of course, no ride is complete without a little hike-a-bike. Photo by Scott.

It was a hero dirt kinda rip down the trail.

Slalom through the trees.

We had spotted this side trail on the way up, might as well check it out.
It was a short hand-built flow trail that someone clearly put a lot of time on. Most of the turns were bermed and it was a fun little add-on to the descent.

Scott makes his run back through the oxidized iron section.

Little bit-o-sketch.

Now you know why it's called the Rainbow trail. Only thing missing was an actual rainbow.

My oxidized iron turns. Photo by Scott.

Back on the wide railroad grade near the bottom.

Mining evidence is everywhere in these parts.

The Durango & Rio Grande Railroad.

Returning to a soggy Silverton.

BBQ sounded good for lunch, maybe the weather would clear for another ride after lunch...
The Rainbow trail was a pleasant surprise in that it didn't explode my legs & lungs. If you're looking for something on the easier side near Silverton, give it a look.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment