May 24, 2024

UT: Around the Horn

 Memorial weekend was rapidly approaching and I had a hall pass to head north - to Utah to hang out with some of the best friends around. The problem? My part-time work shifts were not getting picked up even after offering cash. Thankfully, two days prior to departure all my days were covered. Go time!!

I think I packed all my stuff in about 45 minutes so I could leave directly from my full-time gig on Thursday. I was weaving my way through Phoenix traffic just after 1p, which turned out to be a good move ahead of holiday congestion.

It's about an 8 hour drive, plus losing an hour with the time zone change, so it would be a late arrival to Andrew & Katie's place near La Sal. I made a quick stop in Flagstaff for gas & food, then was pleased to time the sunset as I drove through Monument Valley.

Monument Valley from the Arizona side.

Classic shot from the Utah side. I went to the side since the road was crawling with tourists posing in the pavement.

There was just enough light to drive up to Mexican Hat rock.

Andrew had warned me about deer near their place. I was on high alert over the final few miles. I saw a few, then a few more, and more...all told, I think I spotted 30 or so within the final five miles!! At least four were standing in the middle of the road. Best to proceed with caution in these parts at night.

I arrived a bit before 11p and opted to just sleep in my car...until Katie appeared and offered a space on their floor. Yes, please. Andrew & Katie recently purchased this land and have been hard at work turning it into a place to call home and a workshop for Dispersed Bikepacking.

In the morning I got the grand tour of the place and the personal touches are everywhere. It's a really cool place in a stunning location. We had plans to do a couple of rides to see what the area held.

Strempke Stronghold perched at 7200'.

Quite the view!! La Sal Mountains, Moab is on the other side.

Alexandera and Johnny were also there, camped out in their new larger truck conversion. It's so neat to see how many of my bikepacking friends live. It has it's challenges, but they all find ways to make it work.

350 power & some beautiful bikes.

Andrew was busy making Alexandera's new framebag before we left on our ride. Andrew, Katie & Alexandera were all getting ready for the upcoming Grand Loop bikepacking race. It was officially Fat Bear Week, coined by Katie, to put on a couple extra lbs before losing it all during the ride!! Ha! Meanwhile, Johnny was prepping for the Tour Divide in a few weeks, part of his Triple Crown Challenge this year. Exciting times ahead!!

Alexandera lacing up her new cheetah print bag while Johnny regrets not getting one.

Andrew & Katie guiding us Around the Horn of Ray Mesa.

Mt. Wilson in the San Juan Mtns. is near Telluride. PeakFinder app.
It was a semi-chunky descent on jeep roads that dropped us 1000'. Hmmm, what would the return climb hold? For the most part it was a good grade that got the heart rate elevated. Exactly what I needed. There was only one section of boulder hopping...
Alexandera & Johnny navigate a sizable rockslide.

The Utah side of the ride went down, the Colorado side? Up, of course.

Heck of a view from the top.

Colorado's answer to Canyonlands.

Always a fun time with this crew!! Photo by Johnny.

Topping out near 7400' on our return.
This was a such a cool route, right from home. There seems to be an endless supply of dirt roads, jeep tracks and faint paths in the area. I'm sure Andrew & Katie will eventually ride them all!! It was a great way to get the long weekend going. More, please.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment