May 27, 2024

UT: Moab - Raptor Route

 I had time for one more ride while in the Moab area and I couldn't think of a better route to do than the new-ish Raptor Route off Sand Flats Rd. It's a series of trails: Eagle Eye, Hawks Glide, Falcon Flow & Kestrel Run, that gives riders coming down the Whole Enchilada route another option back to town. I'm guessing most folks shuttle it as a day ride, but I was solo and of course, don't mind climbing.

I needed to be finished around lunchtime so I wouldn't arrive back home in the desert too late since I needed to be back at work the following morning.

Quite the view driving into town from our camp. If you've never ridden in Moab, part of the famed Mag7 route is up on that cliff's edge and the Portal trail cuts down it.
I grabbed another burrito in town, then made my way up Sand Flats Rd. It is a fee area, $10 gets you in, pass is good for a week FYI. I made my way up to the trailhead at the bottom of Falcon Flow. Time to climb.

It's a well graded dirt road, some washboarding and not too much traffic this morning.
It begins fairly mellow, but there are a few pitches to elevate the heart rate. I made good time reaching the top of Falcon Flow where another rider was taking a break in the shade - I didn't notice her at first until she said it was time for the downhill!! Nope, I'm going all the way up. Have fun!!

Really nice contoured grade through here.
Then the road kicked skyward. Oof. You know it's steep when they pave a section of the dirt road. There were two such sections and I'm happy to report I didn't stop once. I think my fitness has finally turned a corner, elevation acclimation felt good too. Don't get me wrong, it was a grind.

I reached the Whole Enchilada route before 10:30a, making good time for a change.

Iron Ranger at the top too, for those riding in from above.

I had to make the short 0.2 mile ride over to the LPS trail...

...because of this. This, right here. All-time classic shot anywhere.

Castle Valley close-up.

The Raptor Route is now an official option to close out the Whole Enchilada. Is it worth it? Let's find out.

I love the tight, twisty, fast sections like this.

Eagle Eye was first up and started with fast swooping forest singletrack, then some famous slickrock.

Views of the snow capped La Sal Mtns. were a nice touch.

Cool dead tree & slickrock.

Shade break if you need it.

This trail had a little bit of everything, good Moab sampler.

Plenty of signage too. Now on to Hawks Glide.

Yeah, this is gonna be good.

Tree archway!! We aren't too far from Arches Nat'l Park.

Endless views as the trail hugged and contoured the side slope.

Mini Bell Rock approaching.

Here, a series of rock-armored switchbacks take you down.

You've been warned. It wasn't too bad though, a couple spots I halted to see what lie ahead, but was able to ride all of it.

Snowy La Sals still visible here as is Sand Flats Rd. from earlier in the ride.

Nice rock work on the Hawks Glide runout.

A short overlap on Sand Flats Rd. brought me to the start of Falcon Flow.

It begins with a short climb on the hillside.

Then has a more backcountry feel as it bends away from Sand Flats Rd.

Sweeping shelf ledge riding here.

Look!! More slickrock. Shocker, I know.

I really enjoyed the routing of this trail.

What a backdrop!! A short rip through this meadow brought you to a short, semi-technical climb. It was a good challenge. No dabs.

Ok, I stopped for one photo on the way up.

Another short climb ensued, but this one was smooth.

More crappy scenery.
Somewhere in here I saw a couple of riders up ahead. I could see they were pushing their bikes up an incline. When I approached, I could see why, it was a stout grade. I kept a good tempo going and made the top. I was taking a short break when the riders caught up, two kids around 15 years old. One kid definitely looked like he was fairly experienced while his buddy was sure to tell me this was his first ever mountain bike ride!! I told him he was doing great and that last hill was a tough one. If you get through this ride and don't hate mountain biking or your friend, it's the sport for you!!
Huge slickrock switchback, so grippy.

Yep, this was a fast section.

Again, good signage at the road crossings.

Nearing the end of Falcon Flow.

Still time for more downhill fun though.
I took a look at the time and decided I could do the upper section of Kestrel Run to where it crossed Sand Flats Rd. It went another 2 miles or so, but would require climbing a steep section on Sand Flats. Plus, it was getting a bit warm and I still had the long drive home ahead of me. Am I really starting to make sound life decisions while riding??? Who is this guy??
Enter into the rock dunes.

You get to create your own postcards here.

Sticks and blue dots mark the trails here.
I reached Sand Flats Rd. and made the short ride back to my car. Heck, I actually finished the ride about the time I had planned. Whoa. Talk about an anomaly.

Anyway, the Raptor Route exceeded all expectations and is a worthy ride all on its own. Highly recommended. I'm sure I'll be dumb enough to ride the Whole Enchilada, peel off and do the Raptor Route, then climb back up to LPS to finish the Whole Enchilada proper. The more I think about it, the more awesome it sounds.

Route:

Hmmm, what is this? It's a new development, Lionsback Resort, practically right before the Slickrock trailhead.

I thought this was cool. The pic itself is nothing amazing, but I snapped it in Blanding, UT. Ute Peak is in CO, Shiprock in NM and Pastora Peak in AZ. That's the four corners for those scoring at home.

Google routed me a different way across the Navajo Reservation. Indian Route 15, while a bit bumpy, was spectacular.

I-40 is so boring compared to this.
I made fairly good time getting home and actually arrived before 9p. Crazy. What a fun, whirlwind weekend with great friends, new outdoor pursuits and incredible riding. Until next time...ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment