January 4, 2019

Spur CroSS: C4 Loop

2019. Let's get this thing started. My buddy, Eric, tossed out the idea of doing the C4 Loop (Cave Creek Cactus Classic). This sounded like a brilliant idea since it had been something like 7 years since I rode it!!

We met in Cave Creek proper and began pedaling up to the Spur Cross Recreation Area. It was a nice warm-up as I was giving the singlespeed, SS, another go. Naturally, I forgot my wallet to pay for entry, so, Eric, I still owe you a beer or two!!

There were a few people milling about the trailhead area, but it wasn't crowded for a perfect Friday morning in the desert.
Cool desert critter mural at the trailhead.
We dropped in to the trail, crossed a flowing Cave Creek and began climbing. I had remembered this climb from years ago and wasn't sure my SS legs were up to the task. To my surprise, they were!!
Rolling over the top of the first climb.

The Spur Cross trail has a legitimate backcountry feel, yet is beautiful bench cut trail...mostly.
 We flew down the backside and took the connector towards the Regional Park. A bit of chunky terrain in there, but super fun and fast. It was a re-route since my last ride up here.
Riding up the bone dry wash.
 There were a couple of short steep grunts that I couldn't quite turn the pedals over.
Entering the Regional Park.
Flowy contours along the Go John trail.

We peeled off on to Overton and met a couple from the Yukon enjoying our sun & warmth.

Eric grabbing a little bit of air time.

The desert wildflowers have been blooming for a month already. Crazy.

Go John, GO!!

Top of Go John before our split to Quartz trail.

Nice signage along the way.
 There was also a new-to-me trail alongside Cave Creek Rd. that was a nice addition. It's always nice to have a singletrack option instead of the shoulder on a busy road.
Since we were in town, we had to pay a visit to Kaolin at Flat Tire Bike Shop. The last time the Voodoo was here, it was frozen, blow torched, cut & sawzall'd until the seat post broke free!!
The C4 Loop is a great route, it has a bit of everything in under 23 miles. Check it out if you haven't.
Thanks for the suggestion, Eric.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment