March 15, 2020

Sedona: Dry Creek

It had been way too long since my last ride in Red Rock Country, aka: Sedona. In that absence a bunch of new trails had been built or re-routed over in the Dry Creek area. I was more than ready to check out the new stuff. Since it was mid-March, there was a better than average chance of high creek crossings too, I was prepared to get a little wet, but if it looked too treacherous I'd switch up my route.
Let's get this party started.
I staged near the Cultural Center on the west side of town. Looking at the map, there were a couple of short new trails nearby. I'd start with a quick lap there before heading out on Axis. The first loop was a mellow lap on Roundabout to get things warmed up, then on my second lap I peeled off onto Remnant.

Oh man. Right away some exposure. Me likey.

Perhaps a bit Hangoveresque?? This trail was short, but packed a punch..in a good way.

Framed view of the Cockscomb, site of another new trail: Ground Control.

Back near the Cultural Center, wonder what the story here is.
I started cruising down Axis, a really nice intermediate trail. It was mostly downhill as it led to the Dry Creek crossing. Spoiler alert!! Dry Creek was NOT dry!!

Not only was it flowing, but flowing swift & deep!!

It was too early in the ride for wet shoes and I wasn't confident I could make the crossing barefoot without taking a swim.
Time for an on-the-fly Plan B. A quick peruse of the map indicated I could take Girdner, which had also seen a major reroute since my last visit, to Rupp and take my chances with Dry Creek there. It would also lead me to another new trail: Rover, bringing me back to Axis. I'd then do an out--n-back to the creek and resume the original route.

The new & improved Girdner without the multitude of creek crossings. Well done Sedona.

The Dry Creek crossing at Rupp was much more forgiving, barefoot and all. Cold!!! Like turn your toes blue frigid.

On my Axis return, I jumped on another new trail: Bolo. It's a nice connector between Axis and Last Frontier.
What turned into a series of out-n-backs actually ended up being perfect for hitting all the new trails in a semi-reasonable fashion. I was a bit surprised how well this was working out.

Mingus Mtn. selfie for Red Rock Chica since we're both huge fans of Mingus!!

More new-to-me dirt on Outer Limits.

Water was everywhere today.
I had to do one more quick out-n-back to complete the northern end of Axis. Now it was time to see what the new Ground Control was all about. I had heard it had some exposure and difficult lines akin to Hiline. We'll see.

Ground Control is intended to be ridden from north to south, starting here off Cockscomb and ending at Outer Limits.

It starts with some off camber climbing right against the Cockscomb formation.

There are a couple short, steep power moves. None of which I cleaned, maybe next time.

Cool routing attaining the high point.

Looking back. There really isn't a bad view in the entire area.

Getting close to the high point. I'm really glad they didn't carve a wide bench cut trail here. Earn it.

Another view of Mingus Mtn. with Outer Limits serpentining below.

Pretty much the high point, good spot for a break to soak in the views.

One last bump before heading down the south slope.

Fantastic, up close vantage point of the Cockscomb.

Thunder Mtn. & Chimney Rock.
The downhill wasn't quite as gnarly as I thought it was going to be. I did balk at a couple of moves, but I think next time I'll ride it. I really need a dropper post. The steep stuff didn't last too long and just like that I was cruising the runout to Outer Limits.

Bottom portion of Ground Control.

High above Dry Creek on Outer Limits. A bit of exposure here and there.

This crossing also wasn't too bad, only the Axis crossing of Dry Creek was sketchy to consider.

One final steady climb after the creek crossing leading back to the Cultural Center.

Looks like I'll be taking some red dirt home.

Down in Cottonwood, I stumbled on this place, Las Salsitas, when Hog Wild BBQ was closed. They had a taco special going, fanfreakintastic!! 
It was a highly successful fun ride on red dirt. So much so, expect a change to the 2021 AES Sedona BFL route. The route will include Remnant, Axis and Ground Control. Should be a good time.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment