June 6, 2020

Mogollon Rim: Blue Ridge Loop

A few days after completing the Happy Jack / Mormon Lake ride with Mike, I began jonesing for a full ride on the Blue Ridge passage of the Arizona Trail. By my count, it had been at least four years since I last did it and that was during the 2016 AZTR750, I was a bit tired on that one!!

I didn't really want to do an out-n-back on the ride and I was solo this go-round. Then it hit me, use the fire detour I sketched up for last year's AZTR in reverse to make a loop!! Duh. I'd stage off AZ87 and the AZT crossing, head north for a few miles on the Happy Jack section, which is really good, then hop on the fire detour. That would link to Clints Well via forest roads & 2-track. Then a bunch more forest roads not named the Rim Rd., aka FS300, over to the AZT at the southern end of Blue Ridge. Back to the car from there on the AZT.
Deja vu.

Quickly into the tall timbers of Happy Jack.

The first few miles roll incredibly well.

Fast singletrack leads to a fun downhill into Jacks Canyon.

Down in Jacks Canyon the wash is typically dry, but evidence of high water flows can be seen.

The last mile towards my exit climbs gently.

This trail marker signals my exit of the AZT around the 5 mile mark.

Well groomed forest roads take over.

I initially missed this turn, it was at the bottom of a fast descent and the first 50 feet were so rocky, I couldn't tell it was a road!! That changed rapidly.

Much less traveled back here, but it rode very well.

This was about as faint as the dirt roads became, not an issue whatsoever.

My dirt road odyssey ended here, AZ87. Yuck. No shoulder, but I'd only have to ride on the tarmac for about 1/4 mile.

I had found a parallel dirt road leading to Clints Well.

Returning to civilization.

Water is available here if needed, the pump is to the left of the structure pictured on the left.

The Long Valley Cafe was closed, so the gas station was hopping with recreationists. I opted for a cold drink and frozen Snickers bar. Clints Well is a well placed resupply in these parts. 
I left Clints Well and had another short stint on AZ87, this time about a mile to the turnoff for FS141. There are a few nearby campgrounds and the OHV traffic was kicking up some dust. A few miles down the road I was back to my lonesome. Just the way I like it.

Jones Crossing of East Clear Creek.

A short climb brought  me up here, Blazed Ridge. Good spot for a shaded snack break.

Dust settling from a lone passerby on FS141H.

A short connection to FS300 via FS123 here.

I never noticed this sign on the Rim Rd. before. Helps that I was riding directly towards it coming of FS123. I only had a mile or so to ride on the Rim Rd. over to the AZT. At the moment, all was quiet.

Joining the AZT at the Rim Rd. crossing and wouldn't you know it, no vehicles passed me on the ride from FS123!! Amazing for a Saturday.

Battle of Big Dry Wash historical marker.
I was now 35+ miles into the ride and it had only taken 4 1/2 hours at a very relaxed pace. Only 15 1/2 miles to go, but I knew the pace would slow considerably. There are two good sized hike-a-bikes on this passage, one is the famed Blue Ridge Reservoir. I was going to try and really hump it out today.

The singletrack begins here, General Springs cabin. I probably take this same picture each time I'm here. It's so cool!!

The AZT doubles as the Fred Haught trail for the first 3 miles. This is also part of the Cabin Loop system.

I love this section. The trail twists up & around these rock slabs, seems so out of place in the forest.

A bit of contoured chunky riding too, there are a couple of moves here that seem to get me every time.

Dropping off the hillside into the canyon, lush trail awaits.

Plenty of water in General Springs Canyon.

I love the varied terrain of these miles.

The trail crisscrosses the drainage a few times.

The AZT / Fred Haught split, I'll be staying left.

A little bit of easy riding to start, then the first of the hike-a-bike efforts begins.

It's about a 10 minute push to get up here, but then the riding opens up.

More fast flowy singletrack through the trees.

Looks like a prime candidate for a rollover gate.

Even the descent into the Blue Ridge Reservoir can be dicey. A down tree and a few large step-downs.

This isn't a heinous gravel road, it's the bottom of the reservoir.
The main hike-a-bike begins immediately. On average it's a good 22-25 minute push. Lots of steps and a bit too steep to ride in most places. I normally don't care about Strava timed segments, I'm too busy enjoying the ride & taking pictures, but this one is different. I was hoping to beat my best time, I think it was in the low 18 minute range. I had a different approach in mind this go-round: Enduro hike-a-bike, get that thing up on my shoulders over all the lower stair steps. GO!!

I hoisted the bike up at the first hard turn and made my way up the initial pitch. I had to turn sideways a few times to avoid bouncing the bike off the tight trees. At the top of the stair steps I could ride...a bit, then off again, pushing to the top. My lungs felt like they were ready to pop, legs getting soft, but I could see the top. A final hurdle over a rockpile, then as the trail tops out ride a bit to make sure the segment is complete. Challenging myself on this one helps take my mind off the task at hand. *That night after I loaded the ride, it was my fastest effort by a long shot: 16:14. Good enough for 3rd overall. Not sure I have much more in me, maybe trying it before mile 44 would help.

Of course, after a solid hike-a-bike effort you might as well ride through a lava field. At least this part of the trail is mostly level and really isn't too long.

Looking back across Blue Ridge from Rock Crossing.

Ahhh, that's better.

A rare giant metal AZT sign that's not at the beginning of a passage. This one is off FS751.

Another favorite spot of mine along this section.

Considering how rocky the terrain can be, the trail is relatively smooth.

Beginning the final descent towards Blue Ridge Campground.

This area reminds me of east coast trails.

Hmmm, another rollover opportunity??

The campground was closed, but the water spigot was turned on. I didn't need it since my car was barely a mile away.

More amazing trail, mostly downhill to the end.

So much good trail up here, I'm surprised more people don't ride it.
I know why, the two hike-a-bike efforts. If you can get past that, you're in for a beautiful ride. Even if you ride the opposite direction, you'll probably push your bike twice. The climb going south out of the Blue Ridge Campground may be rideable now, it appears to have been cleaned up a bit since I last rode it. The Blue Ridge Reservoir area again, the part I pushed up is mostly rideable going down and the south side is much shorter going up. Something to consider. I can tell you that the trail in between is some of the best around. Give it a shot and see for yourself.

I'm really glad I did this as a big loop, it worked out tremendously well. I'd highly recommend it.

Caught Golden Hour on the way home lighting up the cliffs by Saguaro Lake along the Bush Hwy.
Route:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post John. I did from the battle monument to north of the reservoir in the dark, so missed all of that scenery. Great to see what it looked like because most of it rode really well - except for that climb out of the reservoir!
    Awesome loop ride. Looks like you are really making the most of you furlough time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, can't really complain about the furlough time. Lots of bonus rides and house projects got done!! I know you'll be back someday, and hopefully your timing will work out so you can see the sections you rode in the dark...plus all those new ones!!

      Delete