November 27, 2020

AZT: Picketpost to Kelvin

 I've been subscribing to the Black Friday #optoutside movement for years. 2020 would be no different. My ride of choice was made for me when Igor lobbed a softball my direction: 'Do you want to join a couple of us for a Picketpost to Kelvin shuttle? Shuttle is taken care of, there's an open spot.' Duh. I verified my availability and it was set.

This ride is easily in my top 3 of all-time, anywhere. It's that good. Logistics can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but it's really not too hard to get takers for this one. I try to get out there at least once, if not twice per season. I like it so much I had to have it as part of my annual Queen's Ransom bikepack.

I pulled into the Picketpost trailhead a bit before 8a, it was 38 degrees. I tad colder than I was expecting since I didn't bother to bring a jacket. I did remember my long sleeve wool base layer, that would have to do. At least we'd warm up quick as the trail trends uphill for the better part of 10 miles. We'd also be in the shadow of Picketpost Mtn. early on, bring on the sun!!

We got rolling around 8:30a, five in total: myself, Igor, Lane, Jon & David, who would be doing an out-n-back to the Martinez saddle.

Brightly colored Lane, taking flight.

Basking in the warm glow as we climb south, away from Picketpost Mtn.

The trail heads into the foothills.

Approaching FS4, Telegraph Canyon Rd.

10 mile overlook and I was stoked to clean the entire climb. It's been a while.

The Arizona Trail, AZT, drops into this valley, then climbs up to the right, then peels left towards the notch on the horizon.

Double stoke day, cleaned the second climb too!! Haven't done that in a long time, always a loose section or two to slip you up. This view looks back to the 10 mile overlook at the rock outcropping on the left.

Busy day at the ATA rain collector.

Somehow the rain collector still has water in it!! Further proof this was a solid addition to the trail. It's slightly off the AZT, going southbound from Picketpost it's 12 miles, just after the second gate. Stay on the jeep rd. veering straight/left, singletrack goes right.

Into Martinez Canyon we go. It was Jon's first time riding through here.

Can't say I've ever ridden past here without snapping a pic...at least in daylight anyway.

For anyone who wishes you could ride in the Grand Canyon, just come here instead.

The ultimate bench cut. Find the rider!!

It feels otherworldly out here.

Jon making his way across the saddle area.

Igor's Arizona themed rig.

The distant dome on the horizon is Mt. Lemmon. It was exceptionally clear today.

David & Igor taking a break. We regrouped every 4-5 miles or so early on. Igor was chowing down on full Thanksgiving leftovers!!

Jon digging the views.

Cool vantage point about a mile down. Dayglo Lane can be seen on the trail below.

The descent to the Gila starts high above Dale's Butte, here we're about halfway to the butte.

Another classic AZT shot. One of my favorites for sure.

The Gila River was flowing low enough for the 4x4 crowd to easily navigate across.

I was more surprised at how clear the river was!! It didn't look like chocolate milk for once.

Lane rejoining the AZT after our water stop. 16 miles to go, but don't be fooled, there's still work to do.

Quickly gaining some elevation from the river valley.
The trail drops down onto a jeep road for a short bit, then resumes singletrack. Well, it used to. Thanks to a bunch of OHV driver's who tore up the ensuing 1 1/2 miles of singletrack there's now more dirt road to ride. It's not like there isn't over 100 miles of OHV accessible terrain in the area. Selfish effin' a-holes. And no, I'm not against OHV recreation, just do it responsibly and follow a few simple rules. Namely staying off non-motorized trails. That's it.
White Canyon Wilderness forms the backdrop here, thankfully, back on singletrack.

More White Canyon Wilderness in the distance.

Wall St. of the Gila.

It's kinda rare to have such nicely developed Saguaro arms so low to the ground.

A short dirt road section brings us to the final 10 miles of trail to Kelvin. There are four distinct climbs as you make your way through this valley.

Jon riding some sweet trail.

Bumped into Patrick & Karey out on their Gila River Ramble ride. This was Patrick's first bikepacking outing, so I lent him my Motobecane & bags so he could check it out...errr, get hooked!!

The Gila River Valley is typically awash in gold this time of year, but the warm temps have kept things green heading into December.

When you see the train trestle it means two things: the ride is almost finished and one climb remains - Dale's Demoralizer!!

At first I thought a flag was waving in the breeze atop the trestle...nope, just Igor goofing around!!
Igor wanted to try the Pinion gearbox on the final climb, so we swapped bikes. Holy moly is his seat hard as a rock!! Ouch. He has a slightly bigger build than myself, so I found the most uncomfortable seated position possible!!

We had barely rounded the first turn of the climb when we heard a train whistle blow. These tracks don't see a lot of use, so it was about to be a rare train sighting. Igor was bummed he wasn't still up on the trestle to grab a pic, but I'm sure it was for the best.

Longest train I've ever seen down here, it's usually only a single tanker perhaps dropping water at a local ranch. This one was more than likely headed to the Ray Mine.

Nice view nearing the halfway point of the climb.

The AZT was officially completed almost 9 years ago. Two weeks after this dedication, a group of us quite possibly did the first ever Picketpost to Kelvin ride. Been enjoying it ever since.

The final descent and a view of the monstrous open pit Asarco Ray Mine.

Finished!! Still plenty of daylight too as it was around 4:30p or so. This parking area is on the north side of the Gila River, close to the town of Kelvin, not up the hill at the official Florence-Kelvin trailhead. It causes confusion sometimes.

Jon's wife drove out to meet us and get us back up to Picketpost trailhead. Thank you!!
We toasted some cold brews and scarfed down some sandwiches from Basha's, I had no idea they made sandwiches so good!!

Thanks for the invite, Igor and the shuttle logistics, Jon. It was greatly appreciated. I didn't get many pics of Lane because he's too darn fast!!

I have a feeling this ride will happen at least two more times this winter/spring. If you haven't done it, what are you waiting for??

Route:


No comments:

Post a Comment