October 1, 2022

Cottonwood: Blowout Wash

 October in the desert is probably my favorite month. It officially begins the cooldown from summer and the entire state is open to explore. So, what to do with an available Saturday? Set an alarm and head north? South? Nah, sleep in a bit then go check out a newer trail system near Cottonwood I've been wanting to ride. Sounded good to me.

I made the drive north as traffic increased on I-17 and I immediately regretted not hitting the road at least an hour earlier. Oh well. My destination for the day: Blowout Wash on the lower north-facing flanks of Mingus Mtn. My goal for the day wasn't to necessarily ride every trail there, but I did want to ride all the main trails. There is a small patchwork of green trails on the NW side of the system I felt like I didn't need to ride entirely.

I staged from the Blowout Wash trailhead on Mingus Ave, aka: FS493. a little ways up after turning to dirt. I chatted with an older couple from Utah who just finished their ride. They really enjoyed the trails, I was ready to find out if I felt the same.

Can't miss the trailhead, it's a pullout off FS493.

Fantastic trail signage at every trail junction.

Fast & flowy right out of the gate. I figured I'd start with the easy green trails.
I was only a couple miles into the ride when I crossed paths with a local, Ron. He started giving me suggestions on what trails to ride, but when I told him I planned to ride all of them, he said 'follow me'. He was finishing his ride and it made more sense to follow him to a trail junction near his car. He was parked on the opposite side of the system at a college & vineyard. The vineyard is run by students and according to Ron, has good prices. Clearly, I parked at the wrong trailhead!! Noted. Ron took off but gave me a bunch of good tips for the day.

Ron cruising the Campus trail.

Southwest Wine Center.

Top of Blowout Butte. PeakFinder app.

Old Man Mingus for my bud, RRC!!

Trailhead where I started is visible on the left.

The Blowout trail didn't start off so great, thick, deep, large gravel, but it was slightly downhill.

It eventually ended, and turned lush next to a flowing creek.

Fun trail tucked under the canopy of trees with the sound of gurgling water.

The last bit of trail is faint and ends abruptly at Mingus Ave.

Looking down Mingus Ave. I can see the resupply haven of the Maverick Gas Station. Coco250 riders know what I'm talking about.

The Copper Chief trail leads out of the trail system. It's currently under construction, but 3 miles are mostly complete as I found out.

I sent Tom an email afterwards asking about the destination of Copper Chief and any other plans for the area. What he sent back was mind bending...
The Verde Trails and Access Plan, VTAP, is a 126 mile non-motorized expansion of the Verde Ranger District of the Prescott National Forest. There are also 30 proposed trailheads designated. There are 6 more miles of Copper Chief to build which will tie into Black Canyon of Mingus, not the Black Canyon National Recreation Trail, but that too is part of this and is currently being extended to near Camp Verde. Below are the area maps with proposed trails. I can already see the multi-day bikepacking opportunities!!






Crazy, huh? Back to the ride...

Climbing a well contoured Copper Chief with stunning views of the Verde Valley.

It was a bit wide in sections early on, but over time it will narrow.

Big sweeping turns as elevation begins to stack up.

View to the east.

Mingus Mtn. doesn't feel so far away now as you can begin to see details of the pine trees.

The trail crossed over FS493 and became a bit more raw, rugged. A true backcountry feel.

Rollover gates ready for installation!!

Some really cool trail routing too.

A few of these drainage crossings were dicey, I didn't chance it and walked a couple.

End of the line just below 5,000'.

The trail rode really well in each direction.

Back in the main trail system with a few trails remaining to ride. Snack break!!

Found a nice shady spot for a quick calorie intake.

The clouds had been building all afternoon, providing some welcomed shade. It wasn't too hot, mid-80's.

I'm still regaining lost fitness and this climb hurt, so I walked.

The Higher Learning trail was tight and technical in bits. Great trail, but I was getting tired and ready to be finished. Just get to the top!!

On my way down and zigzagging back to the car.

The Bullseye trail back to the car was a hoot.
The Verde Valley and Cottonwood are really on to something here. Great trails, cool town, endless views and a massive load of new connectivity of trails coming. I know I'll be riding here more often.


Route:


No comments:

Post a Comment