February 21, 2020

White Tank Regional Park

Twenty-five years...25. That's how long I've been mountain biking here in the desert and yet I had never ridden at White Tank Regional Park over on the west side of town. How did that happen?? I did hike there once...something like 20 years ago, but never on the bike.

I guess part of it was I never really heard a compelling case to drive the hour plus to check it out. I had heard one of the gnarliest trails in the Valley of the Sun, Goat Camp, was there, but that's not really my cup of tea. I'll do it eventually, but I need more rideable miles for that kind of commitment. So, I usually steer my west side rides to the Estrella Ranch area or Black Canyon Trail.

Today was different. My friend, Sara, lives near the park and she's been telling me she'd give me a grand tour if I ever made it out that way. I had a Friday workday where I'd be getting off work early in the day, so half the drive was already done!!

I made the rest of the 45 minute drive and met Sara outside the main entrance. We began the ride on contoured singletrack heading north towards the competitive loops.
A gradual climb got the legs & lungs warmed up quick.

Sara led the way out to the Maricopa Trail for a few miles of fast riding.

Back in the park, the comp loops are wide and fast.

Yes, please. Let's ride some rocks.

Sara was sure to point out all the techy sections she knew I'd enjoy.

This was a scenic, fun loop with a couple of tricky moves, but nothing crazy.

Ready for launch!!

Sara took a short break while I did a quick loop up & around this hill.

A nice switchbacked climb led to a remote backside of the loop.

Back on the fast track, we started to make our way back.

The distant towers on the high point of the White Tank Mtns.

We took a short out-n-back detour on Ford Canyon. Not far beyond this sign the trail begins to get rowdy. Good time to flip it.

We made our way over to Mesquite Canyon, one of the trails I actually knew about and wanted to ride.

Up, up, up we go. A couple of steep grades and a handful of technical moves keep things spicy.

I was finding out quick that this was a leg/lung burner.

Sara makes her way up a bench cut section of trail.

Sweeping singletrack.

Get ready for some hike-a-bike!!

Sara was about at her limit, so we decided to meet back at the bottom after I did a loop through Willow Canyon.

But first, more hiking.

The Willow Canyon exit can be seen on the far hillside.

Soon after the hikey bit, the climbing became divine.

Yeah!! That's the good stuff.

Look at it, just look at it!!

I took a peek at the Willow Canyon elevation profile and knew to take the second entrance in order to ride it mostly downhill or in a CW Loop direction with Mesquite.

I was pleased with my decision. The upper portion before here, was a bit loose, wouldn't be much fun trying to climb it.

Had an AZT feel to it.

Completing the loop with Mesquite, now time to head down the way I came up.

Sara hadn't been waiting too long, as soon we were surrounded by blooming Brittlebush.

Cruising by the horse stables on the Maricopa Trail.
It was a really fun ride and I'm glad Sara was willing to show me around as I'm not sure I would've ridden some of the trails we did. Thanks for the tour!! I'm still surprised it took me so long to get over there, it's worth the drive. I'll definitely be back to sample Goat Camp and probably walk my bike through Ford Canyon.

Thanks Google for the top notch roadside taco stop only a few miles outside the park.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment