April 11, 2020

BCT: High Plains Drifter 100

The weather held in check for another week, actually cooler & overcast, and I was given a rare second chance at knocking out a big dumb ride. One thing the week prior taught me was the section of Black Canyon Trail, BCT, heading south from Rock Springs was slow going. So, instead of going for the whole enchilada, I decided to switch things up a bit and do the northern portion. No small feat as that alone was just over 100 miles, but I felt confident I could not only pull it off, but finish before sunset. Of course this meant starting at 3a once again. Let's do this.
3:03a rollout on a Saturday. The benefit would be twofold.

I settled into a good groove early, legs were firing right away. I was really digging the solitude under the cover of darkness on an otherwise very popular OHV road.

5a on the Antelope Creek climb, still not one vehicle.

The eastern glow of sunrise approaching. Top of Antelope Creek by 5:30a.

Storm clouds?? There was a 10% chance...
Right before sunrise I finally encountered the first vehicles, two off-roaders coming my way, they slowed, waved and all was quiet for a while.

I love riding from pure darkness into a new day.

It was about 6a as I arrived in Spring Valley. Right on schedule.
There's a gas station on route and I was craving a chocolate milk & donut. Score. As I was getting my morning fix it began to rain. Hmmm. Didn't bring any rain gear. The clouds were telling me it would quickly pass, so I headed out under a light rain. It lasted about a mile.

Rain + Sunrise = Rainbow!! This was a short bit along SR69 linking the gas station to Old Sycamore Rd.

It's a relatively fast rip along Old Sycamore Rd. to Orme Rd.
I had two more vehicles pass by on Orme Rd, a hunter in a pickup truck and a rancher pulling a horse trailer. 42 miles of dirt & 4 vehicles on a Saturday morning. I guess starting at 3a has its benefits.

Orme Rd. winds around, climbs a bit, but puts you way out there.

The official start of the BCT off Orme Rd. Nondescript. This is the only signage & a small dirt pullout.
It was 8a on the dot and I was stoked about that. 42 miles down, about 62 to go and I had almost all day to ride the BCT. I was feeling really good, best I've felt on a long ride in quite some time and the temps were hovering in the upper 50's. Perfect.

The first couple miles of BCT follows a jeep road, not too exciting, but the views are nice.

The jeep roads drops down to here, Russian Well, and just beyond the singletrack begins.

To say the northern reaches of BCT doesn't get a lot of traffic is a bit of an understatement. That's the trail.

While vague in stretches, the trail rides great.

Did I wormhole to Narnia??

First Agua Fria crossing, rideable.

Now the trail is easy to follow.

The green XM or XB gate, this marked the turn for the Copper Mtn. (seen in the background) Loop (CML), but first I had to do a 3 mile out-n-back on the BCT to the Copper Mtn. exit. You know, to keep it legit and bag ALL the BCT miles.

A nicely graded climb leads here, cool rock formation on the CML.

This is such a fine addition to the BCT. It makes a nice 12 mile ride from the Big Bug TH off SR69 all by itself.

Not sure what to do here. Should I close the gate?

I was now eight hours into my ride, first trail users.

The earlier threat of rain had moved on.

More fantastic singletrack to wind down the CML.

I reached the Big Bug TH right at noon, good time for a lunch break.
The first group of mountain bikers all day had just ridden past me heading north. There were a few others at the trailhead, but otherwise it was quiet. All fueled up, I was ready to press on towards Antelope Creek. I was now a bit over the halfway point and feeling really good.

The BCT contours around a couple of hillsides to the west of Spring Valley.

The first couple of miles are routed great on solid tread.

A couple more miles of good jeep road help calm the body after a series of bone jarring downhills over lava rock.

Crossing Antelope Creek Rd. right at 1:30, some 8 hours after my pre-sunrise pic.

Probably my favorite section of the entire BCT: Antelope Creek.

Mariposa Lily.

This section is cool too as it winds among the rocks before a long downhill near Bumble Bee ranch.

Yeah, this qualifies.

I needed a water refill, Bumble Bee Creek delivered.
There were a couple of motos down near the creek zipping around, but they took off as I arrived. I was grabbing a snack while topping off my water (I opted for my 1.5L lumbar pack instead of my 3L backpack on this ride, so glad I did since water was readily available) below the bridge. I could hear razor after razor and side-by-side zooming overhead. It was a superhighway!! Glad I wasn't sucking dust or getting run off the road at the moment, but I did need to ride about a 1/4 mile of it soon enough.

There was enough break in the road action for the dust to settle and snap this required shot. Somehow I made it to the turnoff without a vehicle buzzing by me.
The next mile is probably my least favorite mile of the BCT. It's a one mile grind up an uneven jeep road. Not particularly steep, but steep enough. Once again it tripped me up near the middle. As I neared the top two riders approached, but waited until I cleaned the climb. We began chatting about the day and what we were riding. The reaction I got when I mentioned I was at mile 88 was priceless. I really wasn't trying to impress them or anything, but they could tell I had been out for a while. They wished me luck on finishing and rode off. I was still feeling good, but was ready to wrap things up. Still 16 miles to go.

I really like this section too, the views of the Bradshaw Mtns. are so dramatic.

That's Maggie Mine Rd. on the far hillside, the first climb/descent of the ride during the wee hours.

Almost every drainage had water, this one could almost be a swimhole.

Beginning the Stagecoach descent.

Another iconic spot along the BCT. That switchback has stumped many a rider over the years. I think I've only cleaned it twice.

Arrastre Creek crossing. Shoes are getting wet. Dry ones at the finish!!

0-for-1 on the switchback today.

My biggest issue on the day? This. Musk Thistle. It was everywhere, extra thick here. Catch it just right and ouch!!
Somewhere about the 5 mile to go mark I think I mentally checked out of the ride. One of those things you do subconsciously because you know it's 'only' 5 more miles. Easy, right? Nope. I was starting to get hungry, but kept telling myself it's almost done, grab a burger after the ride. So, what did I do? I stopped taking in calories. Dumb. My energy levels took a nosedive and I became sluggish over those final miles. Note to self: If you're still riding, keep eating.

Last water crossing, again the Agua Fria River.

One of a handful of angled rollover gates along the trail.

The final climb, an 8 switchback attack!! Cleaned 'em all as storm clouds began to build.

The end is in sight at the white tank!! Barely one mile to go!!

Done! And still daylight!! That was the other benefit of starting at 3a. Finishing at a reasonable time.

Strava link. Once again cheated by elevation gain. See Garmin Connect below - straight from the GPS.
A few minutes after finishing, a buddy, Mike, rolled up with bikepacking gear. He had ridden from home for an overnighter along the BCT. How cool!! We were both hungry and met back up at the Rock Springs Cafe in hopes of at least grabbing some pie. Nada. Closed. Then it started to pour!! I guess those final storm clouds I saw were closer than I thought. I wished Mike luck as he debated what to do and headed home.

The final 5 miles notwithstanding, I felt absolutely fantastic all day. The best I've felt for a long ride in quite some time. Everything clicked. Not sure if I'll try the full north-south thing anytime soon, but I plan to come back if the weather holds to knock out the southern version from Rock Springs. (Spoiler alert: it was two weeks later, post coming)

I'm so glad this one came together, felt really good to knock it out. It was such a good ride I'd definitely do this one again.

Garmin Connect Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment