April 4, 2020

Plan B > Plan A

I've had this really dumb notion of a ride on my mind ever since I pulled off a dirty century on the Black Canyon Trail, BCT, back in April '14. It's been simmering on the back burner ever since. Thing is, the timing has to be absolutely perfect. Weather temp is a huge factor, forecast on Sat? 71ยบ. Check. Could I pull off a big dumb ride physically? I thought so. Check. Bike working?? Check. River levels low enough? Check. Was my head mentally in 'the game'? Check? Yeah, check. It was GO time.

The plan, you ask? Stage from Rock Springs, ride the BCT south to the Carefree Hwy, turn around, ride the opposite sides of both the Boy Scout & Little Pan Loops, toss in the Tech Loop returning to Rock Springs. Refuel & top off water. Then head north on the dirt roads all the way to the northern terminus at Orme Rd. jump on the BCT and take it all the way back to Rock Springs...oh, and slap on a full Copper Mtn. Loop because it's there. And try and complete this nonsense in under 24 hours. It's something like 165 miles and 15000' of gain. I did say this was a really dumb ride, right?

I set my alarm for 1:00a, left home around 1:45a and pulled into Rock Springs a little before 3a. I geared up and rolled out a few minutes after 3a. I was quite proud of myself actually.
aka: Rock Springs TH.
I quickly descended to the first water crossing of the ride and didn't bother to take off my shoes. I figured my feet would dry out quick enough during the day and I've never had an issue with wet feet in the desert. One thing puzzled me though, where is the trail on the opposite bank? I couldn't make it out with my light. I knew where I should cross, but I wasn't seeing an opening. Only after crossing the Agua Fria I realized why. There was so much storm debris washed along the banks, the trail didn't exist!! I had to scramble over a series of down trees, bushes, etc. Then all the river rock. Bumbling, stumbling...

Finally, up on smooth-ish trail, I could resume riding. The Skyline climb went by smoothly and my feet were already feeling partially dry.

Top of Skyline. It absolutely dumbfounds me why some asshat destroyed the rock art bicycle that had been here for years. I believe it's been resurrected since this ride, but really??
Next up was the Cheap Shot segment, another favorite of mine that I hadn't ridden since that 2014 ride. Shameful, I know. I was making okay time, a little off the pace I had hoped, but not by much as I reached the top of the Little Pan Loop still under the cover of darkness.

The next river crossing was approaching some four miles away and this time I would prefer to keep my shoes dry. I was a bit caught off guard by how rubbly this section of trail had become, the pace wasn't picking up as I had hoped. Somewhere in here my shifting had become a bit wonky, it worked, but no matter what I did with the barrel adjuster, it was a bit of a chore to shift gears. More annoying than anything, but not something I was looking forward to futzing with for 24 hours. Not five minutes later as I neared the final few turns before the Agua Fria crossing, I felt my front tire getting soft. Ugh.

Sure enough, a slow leak in the front tire. Dammit.
I decided I'd mess with it after I crossed the river since this was a short hop over the water, but a longer walk across the wide river bottom. On the other side I threw in some sealant and got it ready to roll. The sky was now beginning to show hints of daylight. I was hoping for a quick change in scenery and mood. I started the climb out of the river valley and felt my tire going soft again. Okay, it's going to be one of THOSE rides. Meh.

Bottom of the Little Pan Loop. Decision time.
Daybreak at the bottom of the Little Pan Loop. I pumped up the tire once again and weighed my options. I was now quite a bit off the pace I was hoping for, couldn't fully trust the tire and that shifting...screw it. I called it off. Decided it was not going to happen on this day and I'd just make a traditional Little Pan Loop ride out of the day. It's a good ride all by itself and one I hadn't done in well over 7 years. Happy with my decision and quite frankly a bit relieved, I guess I wasn't fully on board mentally. That'll get you every time on a stupid huge ride. Anyway, I vowed to enjoy the rest of the ride back to Rock Springs.

Looking down on the Agua Fria and the upcoming third water crossing.

I think I'm going to get my feet wet. I had dry shoes & socks in the car.

Back at the top of the Little Pan Loop and onto the Cheap Shot segment once more.

Such a beautiful, calm morning.

The Owl Clover were out in force!!
I think I startled two mountain bikers who were riding towards me, I'm sure they assumed they were first out on the trail this morning!!

High above Black Canyon City.

Layers upon layers of hills, canyons and yes, rivers!!

The debris field I had to pick through in the dark.
I met another mountain biker here as he was putting his shoes on after the water crossing. He informed me that the trailhead was closed. Huh? He said a county park ranger was taping off the trailhead per a Governor's mandate related to COVID-19. I assumed I'd be able to get out of the lot without too much fuss and thanked him for the heads up.

Sure enough the taped off trailhead when I arrived.
As I put my riding gear away the park ranger came up to me and said he just got word that the closure was a mistake and the trailhead would remain open. He seemed a bit miffed about having to take down all the police tape he just put up!

I found it interesting that I was already done with a Little Pan Loop ride and it was only 9a. My front tire ended up holding air just fine the final 12 miles or so of the loop. 

Route:
I still wanted to ride. Maybe something closer to town with an easier bailout if my bike had other thoughts. I shot the Red Rock Chica, RRC, a text to see if she was around. Our schedules rarely line up, but she said she could ride around 11a for a couple of hours if that worked. That would give me plenty of time to grab a bite to eat and mess with my shifting.

We planned to meet at Fraesfield trailhead at Brown's Ranch, but we'd ride across the road for a bit of McDowell Regional Park. Calories down, shifting working much better and air still in my front tire, we were off for a spin.
We had barely crossed over Rio Verde Dr. when we ran into a couple of familiar faces: Walt & Deanna!!

Heading south towards Rock Knob, Tom's Thumb visible up on the ridge.

Lots of cool boulders to ride around in these parts.

The desert floor was a carpet of yellow.

Hangin' Loose in Owl Clover.

There she goes, the ol' endurance legs kicking in. 
As always, the two hours cruising around the trails with the RRC went zooming by. I wasn't completely exhausted yet and she gave me a good idea to ride around Granite Mtn., plenty of wildflowers clinging to a waning spring. It was a good opportunity to scope out the area and return the following day with the Mrs. for a leisurely hike.

Lots of boulders on Bootlegger trail.

Beginning a CCW loop around Granite Mtn.

Poppy patches a plenty.

It was amusing to me how well my bike was riding compared to the morning's effort on the BCT.

Well, hello there. Another rider had stopped to warn me of this guy's presence.

The south side of Granite Mtn. was splashed with color. Poppies, Lupines, Owl's Clover, Firecracker Penstemon and Brittlebush.

This is one of my favorite areas of Brown's Ranch.

This is a really fun section of trail and mostly downhill back to the car!!

I tacked on a small side loop to give me over 55 miles on the day between the two rides.
While I enjoyed most of the Little Pan Loop on the BCT, the afternoon ride with RRC at the McDowell's & Brown's Ranch was much more enjoyable. Sometimes Plan B is better than Plan A, especially when Plan B wasn't in the plans at all!! Thanks for coming out, RRC, maybe we can ride some high country in CO this summer!!

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment