May 19, 2020

Flagstaff: I ❤ Heart & the ATM

I had one last furlough ride day left on my two week hiatus, where to go, what to ride...ahh, yes. The new Heart trail in Flagstaff had been progressing nicely and I saw recently that you could ride the new lower section, push your bike a bit and rejoin the new upper portion to link with Sunset trail.

That was all I needed to head north on a Tuesday. I had practically been shut out of any Flagstaff rides last year and I wasn't going to let that happen again. I was also way overdue for one of my favorite rides in Flagtown, the ATM Loop, aka Around the Mountain. By checking out the new Heart trail re-alignment, I was forced to alter my typical ATM staging area from the Shultz Creek 'Y' over to the Sandy Seep trailhead. I'd also be able to check out the new re-route on the Little Elden portion of the Arizona Trail.

My route idea was coming together. Stage at Sandy Seep, ride the first half of Little Elden, climb Heart, descend Sunset through the Hobbit Forest, then drop down Little Bear to the AZT. From there I'd make my way up to the Sunset trailhead and begin a CCW ATM Loop. Big day for sure.

Then I saw the wind forecast...steady 20-30mph gusting to 40+. The good news? It wasn't going to be hot!! I decided early on I wasn't going to let the wind dictate my day, but I did need to pay attention going through the burn area around the Hobbit Forest in windy conditions. You never know when a burned out tree has had enough.
Heading up Sandy Seep, follow the sign to Little Elden.

The new Little Elden re-route. A bit of the lower section was sandy, but that's the soil composition around there, not much you can do about it.

It doesn't take much climbing before the views begin to open up.

I was really enjoying the routing along the hillside.

Come around a bend and the east facing slope of Mt. Elden is right there! Look closely, up on the ridgeline at the low point, just to the right of the pine tree in the foreground are the new upper Heart switchbacks. That's where I'm headed next.

Dodging boulders.

The old alignment peels off the right.

A sign Captain Obvious would love. It's the new Heart trail!!

Some Sedona red thrown in for good measure.

So far, I was digging the climbing grade.

A nice flat-ish spot to give the legs/lungs a short respite.

Built by riders, for riders.

C'mon, you're kidding me, right? More please.

Here's the split between new and old Heart. The new portion ended shortly after that turn. Lots of flagging was in place.
I had never been on the old Heart trail, I had heard plenty of stories about it and never really warranted my time. Today, I'd get to at least experience a small slice of it, if anything, for comparison's sake. I'm glad I had the chance actually, really makes me appreciate all the hard work put in on the new trail even more.

This was a good section of trail.

Meh. I don't think this will be missed.

A window into Heart's past.

Really gaining elevation now.

As I neared the new upper portion I spotted the trail crew working on the next section.

I rode over to the current end of trail and thanked them for their hard, dedicated work.

Back on the new tread, the top wasn't far off.

That's some serious rock work. Those short undulations are steeper than they look, especially on now tired legs.

I imagine this will be a signature photo op along Heart trail.

Mt. Elden towers.

Just like that, topped out on Sunset trail.
While I was enjoying the view and grabbing a quick snack I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. It was another rider coming down upper Sunset, except he had taken a tumble over his bars!! That's what caught my attention. He was moving a bit cautiously, so I made my way up to him to see if he was okay. I think he was more embarrassed that I witnessed his wreck, but otherwise seemed fine. No shame, it happens to every rider at some point.

And instantly into the burn scar from last year.

A now mostly unobstructed view of Humphreys Peak. Sad to say, but all these trees will be coming down in the next couple of years.

The tread through the burn area was in fantastic shape.

It didn't take long to get through the burn scar and I didn't really notice the wind.

Now for one of my favorite Flagstaff trails, Little Bear.

Feels like Colorado here.

The trail cuts through an older burn scar, now mostly devoid of dead trees.

A tiny bit of white still up top at 12k.
PeakFinder app.

Have I mentioned I lurve Little Bear??

Iconic view right here. San Francisco Peaks, meandering Little Bear trail and Waterline Rd. cutting across the far hillside.
I finished up the long descent of Little Bear to the AZT. A couple miles of gradual climbing brought me to the Sunset trailhead. Time for a snack break before climbing Waterline Rd.

Schultz Tank filled with winter's runoff.
Is it Shultz or Schultz?? Topo maps can't seem to decide as it's spelled both ways depending on what exactly is referenced. Kinda like Bismark Lake or Bismarck Lake. Pick one!!

Waterline Rd. begins in the towering pines. It's almost a railroad grade kind of climb, simply pedal and soak in the sights.

Some history of the road.

End of the line for vehicles, which comes quickly.

Entering the 2010 Schultz Fire scar.

Looking back across to Little Bear.

The famous Waterline Rd. tunnel.

Aspens are making a strong comeback.

Encountered about 1/2 dozen down trees on the way up.
Overall, the wind wasn't too bad. I did get blasted a couple times rounding a west facing unprotected curve or three. For the most part it was a non-issue so far.

Back in the cover of green trees!!

Aspen Alley near the Inner Basin trail.

It's always worth the extra 1/4 mile to reach the green cabin.

One of these days I'll actually ride Waterline Rd. to it's terminus at Abineau trail, not today though.

Bummed that the faucet has been capped.

The snow was melting rapidly, glad I found a bit still lingering.

The last remaining snowdrift along Waterline Rd. as I made my way back to the Inner Basin trail.

Inner Basin trail, aka Pickup Sticks, is an all-time classic. Way too short though.

No tracks on the tread, quite possibly the first ride of the season??

I started to meet more down trees on the lower flanks, maybe 8 total over the 1 1/2 miles.

It was bizarre not seeing another soul on this trail as it's very popular with the hiking crowd, but the trailhead access was currently closed due to COVID-19 concerns. There were two hikers approaching after I reached the trailhead and I wondered exactly how far they hiked in.

Trying for that perfect postcard shot...right as a wind gust knocked over my bike!!

There. That's better.
For those wondering, there really isn't much water available on route, this spring at Lockett Meadow looked good to filter, but I was well stocked.

A short climb leaving Lockett Meadow.

Expansive views over the cinder cones to the northwest.
The AZT skirts to the left side of Missouri Bill Hill.

This is a really fast rip and made much better by the lack of vehicle access.

Sunset Crater in center.
Sunset Crater is the only one I recognize.

On to FS418, heading across the north slopes of Humphreys Peak to the AZT. I spotted the hikers truck parked up the hill from 418, that's quite a hike to the hike.

Again, no traffic on a weekday afternoon. Two thumbs up.

There are two grinds to along 418, not particularly steep or long, but they always get me. I stopped for lunch after the first one.

I was making my way up the second climb when I could see swirling dust coming my way. I braced myself for the mini dust storm and was shocked when the gust lifted my front wheel, turning my bike completely sideways almost knocking me off as I came to an abrupt halt. What the?? Must've been a gust over 50mph!! I decided to walk for a few minutes.

I soon topped out and raced down to the AZT turn. Good to be back on singletrack.

The first four miles are a nice gradual ascent through Aspen groves. Fun going up or down.

I had heard reports of all the down trees being cut out a few days earlier...

...but the current wind storm was doing damage. This may have been on the brink for a while, but I did cross four or five new down trees along this section. A trail crew's work is never done.

Top-ish of the four mile climb at the Bismark Lake split.

I love these AZT mileage signs.

Looking southwest towards Williams.
Same view from above with labels.

The ski runs come into view at Arizona Snowbowl.

Turn around!! Only 190 miles to Utah!!

Or keep heading south...610 miles to Mexico!!

One of the other limited water supplies: Alfa Fia Tank.
Wing Mountain in the foreground.

This area is amazing to see in the fall when the Aspens are golden yellow.

Making my way around the west flank of the mountain, almost ready for the five mile descent to Snowbowl Rd.

More down trees on the one climb during the descent.

Such a fun section, good flow, some rocks, dodging trees all to myself.

Remnants of the forest thinning project from last year.

Waning daylight as I made my way back to the Sunset trailhead.

I'd be going left, the right side is getting a re-route and takes trail users directly into town for re-supply.

Hello there.

Mostly downhill on the Little Elden trail back to the Sandy Seep trailhead, looks like I'm going to run out of light.

But I always have light!! Dynamo power on full display. I was kinda bummed to miss seeing the rest of the Little Elden re-route in daylight, but it rode great at night.

Back at the car not too long after dark.
I was feeling really good at the finish of this one. The ATM Loop has been one of my favorites for years and finding a way to make it more rad was a side bonus. I can't wait for the Heart trail project to be completed. As of mid-July it's rumored to be about 2 weeks from completion!!

If you're looking for a much shorter ride option, consider starting how I did, but after Little Bear, turn right and head back to Sandy Seep via Little Elden. That'll give you about a 16-17 mile ride with a huge downhill after topping out on Heart. I'll be interested to see how Heart rides in the downhill direction as well. It's not built as a DH shred, the tight turns will scrub speed, but I think it'll still be a blast. No matter what, you're going to work to get to the top.

Route:

3 comments:

  1. 0-0 10k of climbing!! I must get out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It looks like fun!

      Delete
    2. It's great climbing too!! Well, when it isn't blowing sideways!!

      Delete