October 9, 2021

AZT In-a-Day Event: Antelope Peak

 A few years ago, the Arizona Trail began an annual tradition where the entire trail was divided up into small sections that people could sign up to hike, bike or ride on horseback all on the same day. It's the AZT In-a-Day event and I could finally participate!! It's a great fundraiser too, feel free to give back to the best trail in the land anytime!! :)

As if you need an excuse to explore the AZT. Every October, get out there!!

Which section to ride? October is prime month for the entire trail, so I decided to see what was left as the deadline approached. Thankfully, it wasn't a Wilderness section, bikes aren't allowed there. There was one lone segment remaining, along the Black Hills (Passage 14) This section was further divided into 3 pieces, my piece was the middle bit leading to Beehive Well from the south. It's a fair amount of dirt roads, so I could see why it wasn't super appealing for hikers or equestrians. I decided I would ride it as a loop, using the Antelope Peak Challenge course we use in January as part of the Arizona Endurance Series. It's a 60 mile loop and I'd ride it in a CCW direction, doing the AZT portion south to north.

I love this route and have probably ridden that section of AZT a dozen or so times. The forecast was looking great too, partly cloudy, light wind and a high of 78ยบ near Oracle. My only real concern was I haven't exactly been doing long rides lately. My last ride over 60 miles was back in mid-June. What could possibly go wrong??

I tried to get some takers to join me, maybe even set up a shuttle to only ride the AZT portion, but alas no bites. Solo it is. Again.

Not a bad view from the trailhead. Mt. Lemmon dominates the southern horizon.

If you've raced the 24 hr. in the Old Pueblo event, you know this sign!!

When dry, Willow Springs Rd. is fast & smooth.

We've since switched up the route, cutting across more dirt roads to avoid some busy pavement on AZ77. So far so good as it was my first time on this section of the route.

In defense of the loose chain & sign, there was a lock on the other side of the gate. Still hilarious. This was the first of four locked gates you have to hop. It's all State Trust Land and I have a recreation permit.

I was really liking the more remote feel of the start.

Looking over my left shoulder, I could easily see Antelope Peak. I'd be eventually riding around it.

View from Tiger Mine trailhead. Antelope Peak seems so far away!! It's about 26 trail miles. PeakFinder app.
There were a few horse trailers in the parking area and I expected to cross paths soon enough.

Lots of grass, but the trail was easy to follow.

There they are!! A string of equestrians climbing the 2nd of five ups & downs.

I caught up on the ensuing downhill and signaled for the group to proceed down to the next wash crossing where there would be plenty of room to pass.
As I passed the group I asked if they were also doing the event and they were. One rider liked my bike as rode on. That amount of trail users out here would qualify as a busy day in the Black Hills. It's a very remote section of trail and one of the reasons I love it so.

Hills, mountains & gullies everywhere.

While the grass isn't cacti, it does shed barbs that get stuck in your shoes/socks and if pointed at just the right angle...ouch!!

I dropped into the wash above, a woman was walking towards me and I asked if they were set up for the equestrians. Nope, there were a dozen or so dressed in full camo, out for a hunt. Didn't expect to see that out here, said they were hunting buck some 30 miles away?? ok.

The first of many cholla forests the AZT cuts through.

Nearing the first half's high point, Antelope Peak never looks any closer in spite of the 12 miles covered!!

Snack break at the gate crossing. That beard sure is getting gray.

Looking back towards Mt. Lemmon as the big descent towards Bloodsucker Wash begins.

High above the San Pedro River Valley.

The peak looks a tad closer, no?

Right after this gate, there's a dirt road leading to Mountain View Tank, seen in the saddle ahead. I wanted to check the water situation there.

Plenty of water and algae, but I'm sure it filters fine.

Use this stick & bottle to hoist the water up.

It's a huge tank. A bit of a pain to get the water, but if you're dry and don't want to wait a few more miles until Beehive Well, it's available.
To this point I didn't think the trail was overgrown much at all. Then I looked down and saw all the scratches, blood streaks, etc. In other words, a normal day on the AZT.

My legs were already beginning to feel the effects from all the climbing to this point. I wasn't even halfway done yet!! Gulp. This was going to take everything I had. I was still pedaling most all of the climbs, but it was work.

Rogue chollaball!! 1 of 4 on the day. Ouch!! Not even my AZT socks could save me.

Another cholla forest. Better be sure you're topped off with sealant when riding out here and carry extra!!

Camp Grant / Bloodsucker Washes come into view near the bottom of the long descent.

The wash almost feels like a superhighway of dirt roads.

I like all these more permanent AZT signs along the way. No Motos please, the AZT is for non-motorized travel only, except when it overlaps dirt roads.

Beehive Well comes into view and I could see the water from here.

The tank was so full, it was overflowing making an easy task of filtering.
It was warm, not hot, and I was actually drinking my share of water for a change. I was in need of some calories and the shade provided a nice break before the upcoming hike-a-bike.

Putnam wash leading out of Beehive Well was a bit thick with sand, more than normal and I had to walk a bit before turning onto singletrack. The riding resumed along the first ridge.

More trail users!! This duo of hikers were also partaking in the event and hiked the final stretch of trail from Freeman Rd. to Beehive Well.
Other than the group of hunters I came across, the only trail users I saw were the two groups doing the AZT In-a-Day event. Hikers, biker & equestrians all out on this section of trail. I'm so glad the Arizona Trail Association welcomes all three groups with open arms. It's a privilege to have so much of this trail open to bikes.

Finally reached a high point after Beehive Well. That was work!!
It was getting late, I couldn't believe how long it was taking and I still hadn't ridden around Antelope Peak!! At least it was finally getting close and I knew the riding would pick up steam.

Mt. Lemmon looks much farther away now.

View to the northeast.

I really could've used my ankle gaiters today, but they're in for a minor stitching repair.

Cholla, cholla, everywhere!! Parts of the tread were completely covered!! I probably rode over 100 of those things.

These fellas sure are brutal, but so cool looking in the right light.

Remember: the barbs go in easy, and are difficult to remove. Carry a comb (and tweezers) to pluck off the chollaballs.

Hooray!! Singletrack exit on the the north side of Antelope Peak.

It was sometime around 5p when I arrived at Freeman Rd.
I took inventory of the bear box: less than 1 public gallon of water. If I was going to through ride the AZT, I'd be sure to fill up at Beehive Well.

While I was missing my ankle gaiters, I also forgot to bring my charging cable for my GPS. That was dumb. It's now an old unit and only holds a charge for 8-9 hours. I can simply plug it into my dynamo hub for endless power. Drat. It died at Freeman Rd., I recorded the finish on my phone. At least I didn't need it to navigate back to my car. Since I was already wishing my car was here at Freeman Rd. I opted to skip the Painter Boy section of the route, staying on Willow Springs Rd. a bit farther before hopping over to the 24hr course along the Junebug trail. I had about 1 1/2 hours of daylight left, some 18 miles remaining and yes, I had lights.

I'm now looking south towards Antelope Peak from Willow Springs Rd.
This stretch of road had more uphill than I recalled. My quads kept twinging, on the verge of cramps, but never locked up. Instead, I hopped off the bike and walked for a few minutes here and there to keep things steady. It seemed to work and I soon topped out before a long downhill.

Caught a bird zipping across my sunset shot.

Junebug trail. Ugh.
Junebug was supposed to be a final 2.2 mile rip to the car along the 24 hr. course. It started by having to stop, dismount and duck under about 15 low hanging branches. Maybe I should've stayed on Willow Springs Rd.!! I guess I never realized how much trail prep is needed out here before the big race day in mid-February each year. The trail eventually opened up and I cruised back to the car some 11+ hours after starting. Sheesh, what a day.

Some mild trail slashing.

Strava link
This really is a great backcountry route. Perhaps next time I'll have a few more 40-50 mile rides until my belt before heading out. Consider coming back out here in January for the AES event, it's a fun time with other like-minded freaks.

Flyover via Ayvri.com

Route:

3 comments:

  1. Hi John, I love this loop and have done it about 10 times over the years, and again yesterday. I always ride the highway to start but I like your dirt Road alternative. Email me next time you want to ride it and we both won't have to do it alone. greg@gregarmstrong.com p.s. did it 29+ and took over 10 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, Greg!! That was my first time not taking the road at the start and I won't be doing that again, dirt route was nice.

      Delete
  2. At the hilarious gate you are actually under surveillance by at least one camera. Not sure what is going on out there.

    ReplyDelete