October 29, 2021

Mt. Lemmon: Incineration

 We camped out in the Rincon Valley to set up the day's ride up on Mt. Lemmon. Scott, Mike and I would go play around up top in the pines and cool temps. This was Scott's old stomping grounds when he lived in Tucson. It had been a while since I rode up there, same with Mike. We both were anxious to ride some new-to-us trails with Scott as our guide.

We staged at the upper Green Mtn. trailhead and began with a steady climb up the Catalina Hwy.

The views over the San Pedro Valley appeared quickly.

Stamp it out, up we go.

We diverted on Mt. Bigelow road for...more climbing and this long forgotten connection. Sweet!!

Found a nice log rollover to play on.

Mike takes a stab.

I'm fairly certain I looked as cool as Scott & Mike, but Mike's itchy shutter finger....

A splash of fall color.

We were bummed we couldn't ride 1918 trail, it's been closed to bikes. Hopefully at some point it'll re-open since it's a great connector trail with stunning scenery.

A short bit more of paved climbing brought us here: Sunset trail.

We had to see how the trail rode these days as it's now part of the AZTR route.

Seems legit. Race Director approved!! Photo by Scott.

It does offer some unique views not seen from the Catalina Hwy.

There's some high quality techy fun.

The trail drops down and across the headwaters of Sabino Creek. Photo by Scott.

A short climb brings you to Marshall Gulch trailhead near Summerhaven.

Back on the AZT, only for a minute.

We rolled through Summerhaven, too early for lunch. So we opted for more climbing, up over 9,000' for a loop down Aspen Draw. Then cookies.

The yellow was poppin' near the ski resort.

Looking down on Oracle Ridge. Doesn't look so bad from here...

One of these days I'm going to ski here. It's the southernmost ski area in the lower 48.

At the top we're treated to sprawling views of Mt. Wrightson.

Short connection to the top of Aspen Draw.
I was very excited to ride this trail on my SSP and dropper post. It didn't disappoint as I easily rode drops that gave me pause on my other times up here.

We were greeted by a carpet of gold too. Photo by Scott.

Perfect timing to be up here!!

Riding the wave of leaves. Photo by Scott.

Good call on Aspen Draw, we almost skipped it.

Even Mike's blurry smile approves!!

What a fun rip.

I got a little too close to the tree and hung up!! Photo by Mike.

All the Autumn colors. Photo by Mike.

I love seeing the aspen trees turn yellow, but it's nice to get variety here. Photo by Mike.

The mad dash for cookies was ON!!

Yes!!! And pizza. Perfecto.

All fueled up, more climbing ensued.

Making our way up Mt. Bigelow.

Now on the opposite side of Oracle Ridge.

The enormity of Mt. Lemmon can be felt up here.

Mt. Bigelow towers. Photo by Mike.

We get things started on Kellogg Mtn. trail. Super fun and some tech.

This would be my first time down Incinerator Ridge.

Amazing vistas most of the way.

Scott rolling through a sequence of shots...

Yeehaw!! Photo by Mike.

Gotta stay focused.

Giant monoliths were a nice surprise.

I walked some, but rode a few sections I know I wouldn't have in the past.
My confidence on the chunk was soaring in spite of a slow-motion crash. It was more of a balance check that I couldn't hold, didn't think much of it. I caught up to the fellas at a rare flat spot. I knew my phone battery was getting low and the next pic was my last.

It almost felt like a different mountain, but it's all Mt. Lemmon.

One final test dropping into the parking area. Photo by Mike.

Incinerator Ridge, what a rush!! Photo by Mike.
That ride had it all: Climbing, flowy trail, technical riding, hike-a-bike, views for days, cool temps, fantastic mid-ride resupply and friends!! Exactly what I was looking for. Note: Lights not needed!!

Back at the van, I plugged in my phone to charge while we grabbed some dinner. Later, I noticed the phone wouldn't power on. Hmmm. Upon further inspection, I saw a crack on the screen, but not my screen protector. Odd. I could tell the phone was working, just couldn't see anything. The brightness control wasn't the issue. It was dead. Dammit. It was the only downer on the entire day.

2 comments:

  1. Looks killer! Enjoyed the pic of you on that boulder move on Sunset. That's right about the spot where something like "effing Schilling" spilled out of my hungry mouth. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mumbled that, as I'm sure others did as well, then Scott taught me well. And you're welcome!!

      Delete