January 20, 2023

NoSo: Apache Wash + C4 Loop

 One of my goals for 2023 is to ride the local trails I normally don't get to. The Phoenix area has something like 20 riding areas, a few are a bit of a drive, but all are worth it especially if you make a longer ride out of it.

This day had me going up to the Apache Wash trailhead of the North Sonoran Mtn. Preserve, NoSo. There's a connecting trail to the Cave Creek area I've never been on, so I figured today was the day. I could then tack on a C4 Loop, aka: Cave Creek Cactus Classic or now: Captain Cosmo's Crazy Challenge. C4 Loop either way.

There were a couple of connector trails in the Apache Wash area I had never been on, so I routed my ride to include those.

Much to my surprise, Cave Creek was flowing all the way down through NoSo. Doesn't happen very often I reckon.

Heading north on the Cliff Walk trail.

BB8 sighting crossing under SR74.
The connector trail to Cave Creek wasn't really anything special, but it was dirt linking two trail systems so that alone made it cool.

It would be really nice if we could all play along. There have been a few asshats in the Hawes area who feel the rules don't apply to them. It's a real slap in the face to those who have donated their time, money & effort to create new trails. It's not like there aren't moto legal trails directly across the road there. /rant

On the town section of the C4 loop.
Since I was nearby, I rolled into Flat Tire Bike Shop to say hey to Kaolin, bike fitter extraordinaire!!

The Cave Creek Town Trail parallels Spur Cross Rd for a few miles.
I followed the trail up through the wash route, a bit more technical and sandy, but still fun. Bring $3 cash or have a Maricopa Regional Park Pass to enter the Spur Cross Conservation Area and continue on the C4 Loop. Glad I had my pass with me.

The climbing and views hit almost instantly.
Spur Cross Trail is absolutely beautiful, but you work for it. Good climbs, rocky and hardly anyone out there. It has a real backcountry feel to it.

Black Mtn. near the center of Cave Creek.

Sweeping views of the hills around Brown's Ranch and the McDowell Mtns. PeakFinder app.

Continuing to pan right, a distant Camelback Mtn. in the center of Phoenix seems so far away. PeakFinder app.

The C4 route through Spur Cross doubles as the Maricopa Trail.
You can read about my experience bikepacking the entire Maricopa Trail and all the Regional Park spurs in this post: Maricopa Trail: Super Mega Ultra Edition.

What an incredible view. I'm never ceased to be amazed out here.

First poppy sighting of the new year. It's still January!! Should be a great season for wildflowers.

The route winds south to the Cave Creek Regional Park.

Start of a fun downhill on the Overton Trail.

Go John!! Ok!!

Some real nice climbing grades here.

Made a wrong turn on the C4 - NoSo connector and ended up here, made for a cool photo though.

The desert is so green right now. I hope everyone is getting outside to enjoy it.

I was closing in on 3,000' so to be sure I hit it, I tacked on a climb to Apache Vista.
Mission accomplished. It had been years since I last rode that trail. It's a short climb, but the vantage point up there sure doesn't disappoint.

Looking towards the McDowell Mtns, Brown's Ranch and Four Peaks in the distance.

Strava page. Stralizer app.

This was a great route and helped make the hour+ drive worth it. I can always add more miles down in NoSo, easily making a 50 miler.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment