February 4, 2023

Ripsey Short Loop

 The Ripsey Loop is one of my favorite backcountry rides. It has a little bit of everything: Good gravel roads, nice 2-track, sand, remote feel, water sources, incredible views, switchbacks, climbing, hike-a-bike and a long downhill to finish!! And you get to ride a good chunk of the Arizona Trail, AZT, that not many people venture out to.

This ride would be a bit different as I had 3 first-timers to the loop joining in the fun: Anna, Evie & Kara. We met at the Kelvin trailhead at 8:30a and were off riding the chilly Florence-Kelvin Hwy a bit before 9a. We opted to be cold for a few minutes knowing we'd almost instantly warm up on the ensuing 4 1/4 mile climb from A-Diamond Ranch.

Evie making her way up the grind. Pinal Peak in the background, Ray Copper Mine fills in the hills (or removes them in this case).

Kara tops out on the climb. Woohoo!! Glad that's done.

After a few miles of remote jeep roads & 2-track, Anna gets to enjoy a sand wash!!

Ripsey Ranch and the remnants of the once gigantic Cottonwood tree.
I was futzing around with my bike here, walking all around the concrete structure. I finally snapped the pic, then sat down in the shade on the right. Anna had come up and was walking towards the concrete structure when she shrieked, grabbing everyone's attention. Snake!! What?? Today?? It was still quite cool outside. She pointed to the front of the concrete structure and sure enough, blending in rather well was our first rattlesnake sighting of 2023. *Note: I didn't realize it until I got home and looked at the above photo, but the snake is right there in the foreground!!

What a beauty. He was sluggish, barely moving, no rattling whatsoever. The rattle looked broken.
Once we calmed down from the snake sighting and finished our snacks, we were off on a short connector to the AZT.
We'd pick it up under the powerlines for a short bit, then onto the vague singletrack of Cougar Hill. It's going to be official AZT one of these days, as soon as the State Trust Land Dept. approves an extension so it can be connected to the singletrack a couple of hills to the north. It's been sitting in this idle state for a few years now and it's such a short connection to finish the project. Seems silly to me, but we wait.

Top of Cougar Hill.
The singletrack currently deadends in a wash, but a cairn lies a few feet before the end where a 15 foot overland connection takes you to a nice jeep road. I had noticed on satellite, if you go left on the jeep road for barely 1/4 mile, there was a wildlife trick tank. I wanted to see if there was actually a water source there.

Sure enough: water!! Up & over the small hill behind the tank.
Back on the jeep road, we quickly rejoined the AZT under the powerlines for another half mile or so. Let the singletrack begin!! This is one of my favorite sections of trail, remote, fun, beautiful desert out here.

The girls come through the Cholla forest, Anna first.

Evie steers clear.

Kara all smiles.

This is about as crowded as it ever gets out here.

After some jeep road riding, we now drop into Ripsey Wash.

This entire section is a hoot.

Massive Saguaro down. Drat. That's an old one.
I showed the girls where the blue tank water source was located. The tank was full of clear, cold water, as the overflow area was also full. So good to see.

Anna leads the charge over this rock drop.

Evie gettin' it!!

Kara's locked in.

Negotiating some tight switchbacks into the main Ripsey Wash.

Had to check and see if the waterfall we discovered last time was still flowing...

...it was!! Still so hard to believe. Curious to know how reliable it is.

Cue the hike-a-bike. Now on the lower portion of the Big Hill.
The upper six switchbacks of the Big Hill are really challenging, tight, somewhat steep or small step-ups to get you. I cleaned the first one, missed the next 3, but rallied and somehow cleaned the final two. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 3 on one go, so I was pretty happy with that.

Kara makes her way up the final approach.

Anna & Evie head out onto Ripsey Ridge.

Larger than life up here.

Top of the World!!

Kara heading to the top.

Evie crossing the second ridgeline.
I was warning them of the impending switchback attack section. 13 tight turns on the way down in short order. I always keep tabs on how many I clean. For me, SB No. 5 is my nemesis as I don't think I've ever cleaned it. No. 1 & 13 are tough too. Hmmm, all right handers. So, of course I stalled out on SB No. 1, clipped my pedal and crashed. Gah!! Mashed my lower right leg pretty good in the process. Onward. SB No. 5?? Nope. Dang it. 11 of 13 would have to do.

I decided I need to session No. 5 next time I'm out there, it may require a rear wheel pivot.

Anna putting wraps on the switchback attack section.

It's a fairly easy mostly downhill cruise to the finish over the last couple of miles.
Overall, it's about a 5 1/2 mile downhill from the top of Ripsey Ridge. Such a great way to end the ride. It was so fun to do this ride with first-time riders out here. I think they all were stoked on doing it. If backcountry rides intimidate you, find someone to go with you. Just go!!

Strava link. Stralizer app.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment