October 19, 2023

Redington Rd. - Upper Tanque Verde Trail

 Sometime last year I heard about a short trail that parallels Redington Rd down on the east foothills area of Mt. Lemmon. I rode it and really enjoyed it, so much so, that it was added to the AZTR route. The section I rode was only a mile long though. Around the same time another buddy rode the upper portion of the trail in the downhill direction. I thought I should at least check it out going uphill, maybe it too was worth adding in spite of my buddy saying it wasn't. I always say that I'll ride anything once. It's the only surefire way for me to know if a trail is truly crap or not.

I was already down in the area as the AZTR kicked off this morning. I had planned to stay in Tucson for a day or two, camping up on Mt. Lemmon since the valley was scorching hot under a late October heatwave. Of course I didn't get over to Redington Rd until 2p. Read: 100ยบ I wasn't too concerned since the total ride was around 4 miles. Let's go!!

I parked at the bottom of the known good trail, might as well ride something I know I'll like to get started.

Aka: Redneckington Pass #pewpew

Soon after this sign, the road is dirt, look for the first pullout on the left. Trail begins from the parking lot.

Yeah, it's nice.

One of the smallest Saguaros I've ever seen.

About 3/4 mile up the trail, look for a lesser used trail on the left. That is, if you're dumb like me. Spoiler alert: Ride down this trail!!!

Started out with great anticipation...

That was squashed quickly.

Must be quite the sight when flowing.

Remnants from the past.

The trail wasn't too rideable over most of it.

This rock face was difficult to get over.

Old Taylor Tank Dam.

Built by The Scorpion?? Sept. 17, 1953.

Cool bridge feature leading to a steep roller. It was here when I thought this trail would be fun to ride down.

The trail eventually tops out on Redington Rd at the top of the switchbacks.

From here, it was an easy cruise back down to the car in the heat.

If I were to ride this again, I would stage at the same location, ride the good part of the trail up to the split, stay right. That will lead you to Redington Rd. below the switchbacks, ride up the road and get on the trail at the large sign pictured two photos above. Ride the trail all the way back down. In total it's only about 4 miles, so not a destination worthy ride by any means, but if you're in the area, check it out.

Route:

No comments:

Post a Comment