September 9, 2023

Mt. Lemmon: Pusch Up

 There's something to be said about challenging yourself and seeing it through. You may run the gamut of emotions: elation, satisfaction, relief, pride, utter amazement, even disbelief that you managed to pull off something so seemingly ridiculous to the average onlooker. That's how it often is with these bikepacking ultras, those who know, know. No explanation is necessary. How do you explain the why or drive to do something so absurd to someone not involved? It's tough to do. So, here we are, on the cusp of the 2023 Grand Depart of the AZTR.

Ride up Mt. Lemmon via the paved Catalina Hwy or rugged singletrack??

Last year, five intrepid souls (Alexandera Houchin, Andrew Strempke, Johnny Price, Zack Freundlich and Connor Adkisson), all singlespeeders mind you, opted to take the official Pusch Wilderness Bypass up Mt. Lemmon instead of the paved Catalina Hwy. They were warned, cautioned that this could be a very bad idea. Yet they were all unwavered in the their commitment to the challenge and each other - all were self-supported, solo efforts per the AZTR Rules.

The Pusch Ridge Wilderness prevents bikers from staying on the official AZT going up Mt. Lemmon.

The route they would be taking up the mountain is often ridden as a shuttle ride the opposite direction since that is mostly downhill. Now, this isn't your average shuttle ride. The Lemmon Drop route is mostly rugged singletrack descending over 8000' vertical feet while also gaining around 3000' in the process. The five riders would be using the middle portion of the Lemmon Drop, dubbed the Lemmon Pusch, going up Bug Spring, Green Mtn., Incinerator Ridge, Kellogg, Butterfly, Crystal Spring and the dirt Control Rd. It's brutal. When all was said and done, all five completed not only the Lemmon Pusch, but went on to finish the full AZT800. An absolute amazing feat by any standard.

Afterwards, the riders made their pitch for inclusion into the AZTR as a permanent fixture, not an optional one. Their main points were: It's the official AZT bypass and signed as such, avoids the road / traffic and we already carry a bike through the Grand Canyon strapped to our back, so why not this? I really couldn't argue their points. However, we all did agree the upper portion of the route was really stoopid and dropped you down the Control Rd. away from Summerhaven, a potential key resupply. A compromise was made, cut out Butterfly, Crystal Spring and the Control Rd. a total of 10 miles there. Use the dirt road coming off Mt. Bigelow to reconnect to the current route before reaching Sunset trail.

That seemed like a fair compromise, but I told them I needed to put my tires on it first, before making others take the same route. The other compromise would be if this was added to the route, it would only be for the 800 riders, leaving it as optional for the 300 riders. It would also prove as a test for anyone wishing to portage across the Grand Canyon. If you couldn't do the Lemmon Pusch, you probably wouldn't make the Canyon portage either.

So, my route was set. I just needed to find time and a good weather window to test it out firsthand. It was already starting to get hot as it was now late April. I made my way south and staged at the Gordon Hirabayashi trailhead, aka: Prison Camp.

Up I go from here.
AZTR riders will already get a taste of what's to come by the time they reach Prison Camp. The route crosses by La Milagrosa trail farther down the mountain, this is the final trail of the Lemmon Drop, but riders begin pushing their bikes up the Molino Hike-a-Bike. When they reach the Molino Basin Campgound there are still two more demanding uphill miles before reaching Prison Camp.

The start of Bug Spring trail at Prison Camp before crossing the Catalina Hwy.

It starts off nice.

Cross the Catalina Hwy and the grade kicks up.

The theme here is: some of it IS rideable. Pick your spots.

Elevation gain happens rapidly. Looking back towards Prison Camp.

Cool hoodoos near the top of the first major climb.
It was already getting hot and I wasn't feeling too great, mild bonk or something. I took an extended break here to assess my situation knowing full well the demands that lie ahead.

Some welcome shade and rideable trail!!
I crossed paths with a downhill rider when I was actually on a downhill section and he was hike-a-biking up!! Haha. I ended up hiking down too, as it was a bit janky. It was on this section when I knew I didn't have the full Lemmon Pusch in my legs or body on this day. I quickly recalculated my ride, opting to finish out Bug Spring and bail to the highway at the Lower Green Mtn. trailhead. I was kinda bummed because I really wanted to finish it all in one ride especially since the summer was rapidly encroaching. I doubted I'd have another favorable weather window until fall.

Looking down the Bug Spring scar. All rideable. Catalina Hwy climbs towards Windy Point on the far mountain.

This was at the Bear Canyon picnic area, still a little bit of trail remaining...

Oof. It was work!!

It also rewarded the effort.

I reached my bailout point after 2 1/2 hours, covering 5 1/2 miles. It was now 100º.

From here, 3.5 miles until the next possible bailout. Not today.
Route:

I initially told the crew of five that I wasn't going to add it, but in the coming weeks I had second thoughts since I hadn't actually finished it. I decided to hold off and wait until I could get down there again to finish it as promised.

It took 5 months, but the temps finally began to cool off. I made my way to where I left off at the Lower Green Mtn. trailhead. It was still warm, borderline hot, when I started around 90º. However, on this day I was very motivated to ride it, came prepared and knew it would cool down as I gained elevation.

I had a mental checkpoint for each trail: Green Mtn. - 4 miles, Incinerator Ridge - 1.8 and Kellogg - 0.8. 6.6 miles total to reach Mt. Bigelow. Go.

Well, this is nice.

How long would it last...it was about 1/4 mile.

Then the full body workout commenced.

It continued for a while.

I took a couple of short breaks, then I could ride!!

Back to pushing.

The rideable bits were short, but fun.

Green Mtn. is your constant visual as you make your way around to the right.

Topping out near Bear Saddle, the San Pedro Valley opens up far below.

Look at that?? Good trail on a fun extended downhill stretch.

Looking back at the trail I just came up, mostly walking.

This side of the mountain is very scenic, always something cool to see.

Still grinding up.

Yeah, this IS the trail.

That's better...

...much better!! Whoa!!


It took 2 1/2 hours to cover the 4 miles, but I was feeling good and ready to tackle Incinerator Ridge.

It doesn't mess around, gets right to the point.

Almost instantly I found myself high above the San Pedro Vista.
I ran into a family, Dad and his two teenage boys, out sessioning a gnarly downhill section. I think I startled them when I walked up from behind. The dad was at the top and mentioned the trail rides better going downhill!! I told him what I was up to and he couldn't believe it, then he lined up his line and went for it. Smooth. He wished me luck as I pushed on.

The grade finally relents a bit.

Not far from the Kellogg trail now. Only took an hour to cover Incinerator Ridge.

Another nice rideable section.

Nice to see official AZT blazes along the way.

The full body workout continues.

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

One more pitch to go.

The towers!! Almost there...

Lemmon Pusch done!!

Looking across towards Oracle Ridge.

I felt surprisingly good after that effort.

I was ready for some riding reward for all the hike-a-bike.
There had been a Riparian Closure order in effect for a few years in this area and it closed off two popular riding trails. The order had recently been updated and bikes were once again allowed on Secret and 1918 trails!! They are both part of the 800 route now and 1918 is part of the 300. Just be careful to not blow by the turn to Secret as you'll be carrying speed.

Downhill dirt road gives way to a sharp right onto prime singletrack between the timbers.

Trail view from near the same location.

It's a fast downhill rip through the trees.

Looking back up the trail.

So good. Really glad this has reopened.

Here, the end of Secret ties straight into 1918 after crossing the dirt road.

More lush singletrack awaits.

Careful crossing over this small concrete dam, the drop is a bit higher than it looks.

Looks like east coast riding.

Tunnel takes you under the Catalina Hwy, but it's littered with boulders.

More dirt follows.

Cross the bridge and finish the next leg of the ride.

1918 leads directly to the Sunset trailhead, where some trail work had been completed over the summer.

Sunset starts out fast.

The trail corridor has been cleared and widened a bit.

Less chance of random pedal strikes now.

Some of the janky moves have been tamed...

...while others, the main one, still remain.

The runout has been cleaned up as well.

I love the views from Sunset trail.

Sabino Creek had some water. Finishing the dirt section into Marshall Gulch trailhead.

Short paved climb into Summerhaven.

Frozen Snickers bar FTW from the General Store that was crawling with tourists seeking fudge.
I stocked up on beverages. I used my 3L of water getting here. As I suspected, the temps cooled off as it was now in the upper 70's. Now it was mostly a downhill paved coast back to the car.

Summerhaven Community Center. Restrooms & water are often available.

Sawmill Run Restaurant & Post Office.

Climbing out and away from Summerhaven.

Topping 8000' here.

Mica Mtn. and the Rincon Wilderness.

Mt. Wrightson on the horizon.

Scenic view at Windy Point.
The 12 mile downhill was a great way to finish this punishing ride. It felt so good to be done, but I couldn't stop smiling from the day's adventure. This ride confirmed what the others thought, this needs to be on the 800 route. Done. This definitely adds effort and time to the route, but the Highline trail near Pine makes the route easier and quicker. It's close to an even trade. I'm already looking forward to the stories from Mt. Lemmon this year. If you're doing the AZTR, be sure to call in to MtbCast: 1-888-866-4491. Let's hear it!!

Route:


No comments:

Post a Comment