August 6, 2021

Casa Grande: New Bike Day!!

 It hasn't happened since the summer of 1994. New bike day!! I've had a couple of new-to-me bike days, but not truly a brand new bike in 27 years. A massive thank you goes out to George & Jalene Harris of Binary Bicycles for making it happen. The new steed would be a SSP model, with a copper powdercoat. I also had an idea for some custom frame bags that required the talented Shannon Villegas' graphic design.

The process began in late January or early February, I don't really recall. The frame was ordered and I found a stock image online with a bike frame in a really cool copper color. George met with his powdercoating guy and did a sample on a steel frame. It came out looking tight and we both knew the Titanium would really pop beneath the copper. 

Stock copper image found online at: Prismatic Powders

Steel frame test using a local powdercoater.

The framebag design came back from Shannon, perfect on the first go!! I crafted a template from the borrowed SSP I was riding and scaled the image to what I thought would be the correct size. I was getting a split frambag, one where the lower triangle could be removed, leaving an upper half bag for shorter day rides. Once I was happy with the sizing, I sent it off to ripstopbytheroll.com to get printed on a yard of fabric. The fabric was then sent over to Broadfork Bags, who partners with Binary Bicycles, for production. I couldn't believe the final product. The bags were then sent directly to Jalene while the remaining parts arrived.

Final image, scaled down for the template.

Design printed on V21RS fabric.

Let the slicing and dicing begin!!

Starting to take form.

Zipper & reflective tape added.

Drive side finished product, including a downtube burrito/beer holder!!

Non-drive side.

Drive side detached.

Top view.
Thanks to Jacqueline at Broadfork Bags for keeping me in the know the entire way and helping me with the sizing.

Raw titanium with bags!!

A nice customized touch etched into the Ti.
The frame was sent off for powdercoating while I was bouncing around Colorado on my roadtrip. George trickled out the teaser photos:
Ooooh!! Purdy. The etched base layer turned out superb.

28t oval & 12 speed Eagle drivetrain will suit the bikepacking rides.

Laced up framebag.

Basking in the sun.

Looks like a perfect match!!

Schillingsworth watermark and that smooth copper glow.

Arizona Trail embossed head badge. This can be added to any Binary frame and proceeds are donated back to the ATA. How cool is that?

The wheels were being laced by Mark LaPaglia down at Sun & Spokes Bicycle Shop in Sierra Vista. If you're ever in town, stop in before hitting the local trails.

I had a few parts I wanted to transfer over, saddle, revgrips, Fasst Flexx handlebars (Thanks Kurt for the generous gift!!) & pedals. I dropped off my parts & returned the loaner SSP on Monday. By Friday, it was ready and K and I made the short drive south to check it out.

I was stunned at the final product, looked so much better in person.

Incoming dust storm notwithstanding, George and I were determined to squeeze in a ride before sunset.

The cloud cover kept the temps in check and the dust wasn't too bad.

George climbs the contours of Ridge trail on his SuperB.

Dark skies towards Tucson.

I was liking the feel right from the get go.
We wrapped up our short spin as darkness crept in, good thing since I didn't have my lights hooked up yet!

I can't thank George & Jalene enough for all they've done for me over the years. I'm grateful, humbled and thankful to call them friends. This bike is so over the top rad. I can't wait to get it out on some big adventure days. I've been saying it for years now, if you're in the market give Binary a good hard look.

I'd also like to thank Shannon for always stepping up to help me out. I don't know what I'd do without her help. Not only is she a creative graphic artist, she's a great friend and a founding member of Locorides!!

I also need to thank Kaolin Cummins at Flat Tire Bike Shop for getting me dialed in on the bike fit the following week. No bike is complete until it's properly fit and Kaolin is the best in the biz. 

The timing on Friday couldn't have worked out better, as K was able to join me on the drive down to Casa Grande. She's been there every step of the way and it was only fitting to have her there to see the new whip.
Glamour shot from home.

What a beauty.





4 comments:

  1. Wow what a bike. The bags are the perfect touch. Enjoy the new ride...it's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vik. I'm still in disbelief each time I see it.

      Delete
  2. Love it! It came together perfectly. You are talented for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see this thing in person! Beautiful bike and congrats on the new ride. That 12 speed will be nice to have that extra gearing.

    ReplyDelete