June 24, 2021

CO: Crested Butte - 401

  If you have time for one trail in Crested Butte, Trail 401 is probably at or very near the top of the list. When my buddy, Mike, texted me the day prior to see if I was going to be in town, I hadn't thought much about my ride for the day. He didn't have to twist my arm to ride 401 with him. As it turned out, it was a good thing we made all our arrangements the day prior: the where & when to meet, etc. His brother is working the massive US50 construction project and took Mike's phone to work with him by accident!!

We met at the lower trailhead so we would get the full 401 experience even if it meant some bonus climbing at the end of the ride.

The ride began under perfect conditions, hardly any traffic or other users on a Thursday morning.

Emerald Lake is a highlight on the ride up.
I learned that this was Mike's first time riding outside of Arizona!! And his first time riding above 10,000', might as well knock out 11,000' while we're at it.

One other thing I noticed while I was stopped for the photo op, I forgot to put my helmet on!! WTF?? Left it in the car. I think that's only the second time I've ever done that in my 27 years of riding. Team Softshell needed to be a bit extra aware on this one.

Schofield Pass: 10,707' in case you can't read it.

We both agreed, thumb's up.

Looks like the Curmudgeon himself was here.

Hawes Trail Alliance getting some rep too.

I warned Mike that there was more climbing to do after reaching the pass.

Hero dirt through the forest, so tacky.

First snow patch sighting.

I kinda forgot how much climbing there was, it kept going & going!! I think I mentioned to Mike it was something like half a mile, it was ONE and a half miles!!

Finally nearing the top, what a spread!!

I really suck at riding wheelies. Photo by Mike.

All the peaks towards Aspen. PeakFinder app.

A tad over 11,300', now the downhill begins!!

Schofield Trail heading out to the Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness Area.

Mike taking in that iconic view down 401 towards Crested Butte.

It's a classic!!

This is the one section of 401 that is dicey at best. The runoff made the steep climb out incredibly slippery. Considering how popular this trail is, I'm surprised a bridge hasn't been built here.

It really never gets old.

The backdrop isn't too shabby either.

Snow crossing!!

Back on terra firma.

How 'bout we rip some more downhill singletrack??

Even the short uphill bits were amazing.

Precarious & Avery Peaks.

Skunk Cabbage was out in force, not quite ready to bloom though.

Approaching trees!!

I forgot how fun this section of aspen riding was, lots of large radius turns at speed.

Yeah, it'll put a grin on your face a mile wide.

Bermed turns too!!

We made it through the final climb and began enjoying the final descent to the trailhead.

One small creek to negotiate.

This will do.
We timed it perfectly as it began to rain as we popped out on the final half mile of dirt road back to the trailhead. We hadn't seen another trail user until this road, that blew us away. Nothing like having 401 all to yourself.

It's one of those trails that lives up to the hype. It's not super long, but the views are ridiculous and the downhill rip is long enough to please just about anyone. I'm really glad the timing worked out for Mike and I, what a great introduction to riding the Colorado high country. Even without his phone, Mike got all the ride pics he wanted!! Ha! See you back in AZ, amigo.

We had planned to do another ride after lunch, but the weather had other ideas. Mike made his way back towards Gunnison and I readied myself for the next leg of the roadtrip: Silverton.


Route:

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics, John! We call that nasty section the Black Hole. It’s sketchy for me to hike a bike up that thing but Dom can ride it! CB likes to keep things tough so I bet (and hope!) they never add a bridge 😁

    ReplyDelete