June 27, 2021

CO: Durango - Twin Buttes

 Today was the day to head home, back to the desert leaving the high alpine behind. Drat. Something funny happened though, I was ready to go home!! I guess all the non-stop driving/riding day after day takes a toll. I needed a rest from my vacation!! But first, I had two more rides to squeeze in.

Third times a charm, right? Let's hope so. This was going to be my third attempt at riding the trails at Twin Buttes. My first try the system was closed due to fire in the area. The second time I was on a time crunch and got some poor directions on how to access the trails and wound up in a construction site!! This time I was armed with my Durango hosts, Audrey & Jack. When in doubt, bring the locals.

Up we go, right from the parking lot.

Audrey is relatively new to the mountain biking scene and she's been progressing rapidly.

Jack digging into the stout early grade.

All smiles after the first set of switchbacks.

It didn't take long to feel like we were miles from civilization.

Some fun swooping sections on our way up.

Backside view of Hogsback trail.

Start the long flowing descent here.

Jack letting 'er rip!!

Zoom!!

The namesake Twin Buttes.

Sweet entry.

Ed & Flo trail lived up to its name.

Not pictured were the numerous dips & berms in/out of a long drainage channel. So fun & a great way to end the ride.

Cruising back to the trailhead.

Thanks for the tour & hospitality!!
I'm really glad I finally was able to ride here. We rode most of the trail system in a little under two hours, including stops, which was perfect for this morning. The climbing grades aren't too bad and there's a long payoff at the end. Twin Buttes is a fun quick hitter close to downtown on your way towards Cortez, so give it a look if you have the time.


Route:


No comments:

Post a Comment