June 26, 2021

CO: Durango - Fort Lewis Loop

 I made my way down to Durango and grabbed some lunch at Zia Taqueria, hard to not stop there!! This would be the last night of the roadtrip and I was staying with some friends, Audrey & Jack, who have graciously hosted me on a few other bike trips.

Welcoming crew at the house.

I settled in while they went up to the Purgatory bike park for the afternoon. I reached out to another friend, Liz, who was getting ready for her Colorado Trail Race in a couple of weeks. She was free to meet up for a beer in a couple hours, so I looked at Trailforks for a nearby ride to fill the time.

There were a mix of trails right in town, looping up and around Fort Lewis College. That'll work.

The River trail was a bit thick, my squealing brakes kept me safe around the blind curves!! Ha! The Animas River can barely be seen on the right.

I located the beginning of Lions Den trail and began climbing.

It was a nice grade, the distant San Juan Mtns. and brewing storms all around.

Looking mighty dark back towards Silverton.

Fun trail gaining the rim.
I was a bit ambitious and missed a couple of turns up on the rim: bonus miles!! That's what happens when I don't follow a track, but it's all good and didn't take but a minute to figure it out.

Up near the college the singletrack continued in a more urban setting.

Tucked between roads and campus, it weaved in & out of the trees. There were a few play areas with jumps, etc. as well.

Fort Lewis College has a solid cycling team too.

Checking the time, I circled around the rim ready to descend back to town.

Ruh-roh! Re-calculating.... I had planned to take a much shorter path down, but had to divert back to Lions Den.
I had to get my phone out a few times to find the quickest way back to the house. Sorry, Liz, didn't mean to keep you waiting!! Eventually I found my way back to the neighborhood streets and quickly drove over to Animas Brewing Co. to meet Liz for some suds & CTR beta swapping. Had I been smart, I would've simply rode to the brewery as it was practically on my route. :headslap:

Post-ride greeting too!
This was a fun route right in town if you have an hour or so to kill. Maybe at the end of a day and you could always finish right in downtown too.

No comments:

Post a Comment